Why is it...I seem to see far more exposed root examples of Bonsai from places like Hong Kong than ones in the states

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Anyone with more experience could you add to why this is? just curious...if ones are more accepting of the exposed root/Neagair style over there than here. Or am I just in the right circles to be seeing more of this style in America?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Generally speaking, I don't like them. They don't seem to me to be "natural". They seem "contrived". I like the classical nebari. I like exotic designs, but most of my trees would be considered pedestrian, even by me. I think that I might never be able to break out of the "conventional" mind-set because that's the way I think. I'm not dissatisfied with my trees, but I would like to be able to make at least some, "exiting" designs. I'm hoping that ability will come with time.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Generally speaking, I don't like them. They don't seem to me to be "natural". They seem "contrived". I like the classical nebari. I like exotic designs, but most of my trees would be considered pedestrian, even by me. I think that I might never be able to break out of the "conventional" mind-set because that's the way I think. I'm not dissatisfied with my trees, but I would like to be able to make at least some, "exiting" designs. I'm hoping that ability will come with time.
Fare enough. I had wondered if it's a less desirable style. So...yes...that might factor in as well. I like quirky...so it appeals to me.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Fare enough. I had wondered if it's a less desirable style. So...yes...that might factor in as well. I like quirky...so it appeals to me.
Please don't take my comments as condemning it as a design, after all everybody is entitled to like or dislike anything and just because I don't like them doesn't mean a thing, artistically. I just wanted to give shy people a chance to comment. Many won't unless there is a pioneer to take some arrows.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Please don't take my comments as condemning it as a design, after all everybody is entitled to like or dislike anything and just because I don't like them doesn't mean a thing, artistically. I just wanted to give shy people a chance to comment. Many won't unless there is a pioneer to take some arrows.
Honestly, that's what is great about the hobby. So many styles and possibilities. Formal uprights I find less appealing. It's okay. ? we are allowed our opinions. No arrows tossed.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Exposed roots are also really popular in Korea especially root over rock. Korean bonsai tend to be slightly closer to the Chinese style trees but are unique in their own ways. They are a bridge between penjing and bonsai......though I havent seen any in the west

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Probably a lot to do with plant varieties available there, and how they tend to grow naturally. Ficus and sheffellera grow with a lot of exposed roots. The penjing style is also more encouraging of unusual features. There is a difference between good neagari and bad Bonsai where surface roots are showing that belie the appearance of age. Done right, it’s an interesting feature, but no need to build a collection of them. I have 1 neagari, and 1 root over rock, and that’s plenty for my taste.
1389E46E-E490-4061-8EB3-486E31CFE028.jpegD95B1295-C375-47BE-9851-92A424E67C43.jpeg

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think humidity also plays a part. A lot of these trees are much easier to maintain in tropic / subtropic humidity but I fully agree with Brians other points. As long as you like the style go for it. I think this trees are sometimes seriously underrated in the west

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Always a joy seeing yours @Brian Van Fleet . I've one ROR...I am not a fan of those who looks like they are impaled. But when done right, I love them. I...could easily have a collection of the exposed root/Neagari. Love them...one ten year project with a trident raw material. Along with three Neagari, the Satsuki azalea, Goji Berry and the forsythia. Not sure what my bougainvillea cascade would be classified as. It's not Neagari in my opinion. But...it has the twisted roots. But I could easily add more and not bat an eye. They intrigue me.

Edit: Forgot the "Bog Monster" olive. It also has exposed roots.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chinese tree shops won’t have any type of trees that we all keep, and all of them are skinny little things with those exposed roots. Personally I don’t like it, but it seems like there are certain trends with bonsai that different groups of people.
The problem with me is, I’m surrounded by Chinese bonsai style trends, but I’m being influenced by you lot. And that is why none of the styles on this side of the pond really appeal to me. Still, I regret nothing, I like liking what I like.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Chinese tree shops won’t have any type of trees that we all keep, and all of them are skinny little things with those exposed roots. Personally I don’t like it, but it seems like there are certain trends with bonsai that different groups of people.
The problem with me is, I’m surrounded by Chinese bonsai style trends, but I’m being influenced by you lot. And that is why none of the styles on this side of the pond really appeal to me. Still, I regret nothing, I like liking what I like.
You ever get a chance to share a photo...would love to see what those exposed roots look like. I'm weak and pathetic that way. ?. Lol yes, I can see how you're influenced by those sharing what they have here. So...you don't see many yamadori?

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Cadillactaste free time is little and I’m always trapped in the city, and when I do get out, bamboo rules over the territory here. Here and there are some 2 needle pines ( no clue what species ) and when we do tomb sweeping festival in April we always go up this one hill that has some fir trees ( I don’t really seem to be a fir guy ).
Also, the hills around here aren’t very rocky so the trees don’t show that “struggle-to-survive”, they only grow up.
Apparently there’s a huge ginkgo forest somewhere in Guangdong province, just haven’t had time yet to go find it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Cadillactaste free time is little and I’m always trapped in the city, and when I do get out, bamboo rules over the territory here. Here and there are some 2 needle pines ( no clue what species ) and when we do tomb sweeping festival in April we always go up this one hill that has some fir trees ( I don’t really seem to be a fir guy ).
Also, the hills around here aren’t very rocky so the trees don’t show that “struggle-to-survive”, they only grow up.
Apparently there’s a huge ginkgo forest somewhere in Guangdong province, just haven’t had time yet to go find it.
Totally understand. Wow...you ever find that ginkgo...please share it with us.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You're looking in the wrong shops...... the good stuff costs big dollars even in China...not for us mortals

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're looking in the wrong shops...... the good stuff costs big dollars even in China...not for us mortals
It’s the era of new money here, people flaunting their riches. Very bad for property value if you don’t own a property yet and you got a wife nagging you for one

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mostly you don't see neagari style trees in the U.S. because they don't sell. That's particularly true for very good or excellent (and expensive) exposed root trees. Sellers that deal in higher end trees know they will probably have to hang on to exposed root trees as those examples "find" the right buyer.

Top Bottom