Why is it impossible to find a show worthy princess persimmon for sale????

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Been trying to find a nice PP for a long time but all I can find are sticks, I got about 10 from Julian Adams but they all chop sticks size, I am willing to pay but doesn't seem like anyone is selling.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They're a relatively new development in Japan. They're even newer stateside. Then its 6-7 years from seed before they can be sexed properly. There just aren't a ton available.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
They're a relatively new development in Japan. They're even newer stateside. Then its 6-7 years from seed before they can be sexed properly. There just aren't a ton available.
Thank you ..That explains it...but..but...but Mach5 got a nice one lol.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This.
It's not that there aren't a lot out there. There are, but very few have been treated like bonsai and are subsequently poker straight lanky future garden trees in pots. Most of what I see available, are the result of someone sewing a few seeds in a pot, and forgetting about it for the next 10 years. Even in gardens they aren't common to see. I had to search for months to find mine. Based on my short time involved with bonsai, I would say that the popularity of PP in Japan is growing, which means that in a few more years, you might see more nice ones being exported.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thank you for that. I didn't know that PP as Bonsai in Japan are a relatively new thing.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think a pal in my study group has one for sale if he hasn’t already sold it. It needs some work but has good potential. I’ll pm you photos and price if he still has it. I know it has fruited.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Go and post in the "want to buy" section on
FB in the bonsai auction family of groups.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I don’t do FB but my friends does and they always tell me when one comes up but I haven’t seen one with a decent trunk size at all.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nah those groups are trash anymore.
Not necessarily, WTB can get you hooked up with someone who may have just what you want. I agree the auctions are not as good these days, but sometimes even those will have something.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Anyone knows if the trunk will fuse easily ? I have a bunch of pencil size ones that I’m willing to try but I’m not sure if the trunk will fused together or not. Thanks

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anyone knows if the trunk will fuse easily ? I have a bunch of pencil size ones that I’m willing to try but I’m not sure if the trunk will fused together or not. Thanks
You can fuse the same species together it’s the same as a graft. You have to expose the cambium and line it up. Just pressing young trunks together ends up with the layer of bark continuing to form and push away the individual trees. Leaving the cork in between each tree. I’ve heard young branches or trunks that are green can fuse easier. I have always used grafting techniques. You can end up with individual trees that look like one of you just clamp/press them together.

Top Bottom