Why is Our Selling Forum So Dead

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just curious. Does anybody visit the selling forum. I have never seen such inactivity on a selling forum as this one. Another member described it as a Dad Zone and that fits. Your thoughts on this?

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I'm not convinced that this forum has enough active users to sustain a robust marketplace, especially as Facebook has been improving its user experience for sales on that platform.

I do see new "sales" posts here, since I mainly browse through the "new posts" feature.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Location, location, location, the three most important necessities for a good marketing platform. I'm in the habit of visiting regularly and I've made some purchases, but it's way down at the bottom of the scroll and there's not a lot of action down that end.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It shows in "New Posts," ...and I can't understand how anybody uses this forum without initially hitting "New Posts".

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
By the time I see it it's usually gone. I don't browse new posts, I usually just read a few specific forums.

It might help if there were integrated features to track bids. Since the forum is low volume I feel like things are underpriced (and sell instantly), overpriced (never sell), or if the seller is unsure and wants bids they skip the forum and go on FB. I know I don't always even express interest for fear of coming across as a low-ball bid in a PM. That's less of a concern with an auction format.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not convinced that this forum has enough active users to sustain a robust marketplace, especially as Facebook has been improving its user experience for sales on that platform.
I can't agree that there are not enough posters and lookers here, but I do understand about facebook which I hate and don't use. I have sold about 30 traditional bows over the past year. About half of them, the best and more expensive ones, I sold on the classified on an archery site I visit frequently. It is also where I have made several purchases. The cheaper ones I bought or sold on eBay. But I have never seen a more stalled out selling venue than the one here. It is a real shame but it is what it is and I guess I won't bother with it any more.
Thanks for your replies.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

I do see new "sales" posts here, since I mainly browse through the "new posts" feature.

Is there a specific sales market place on facebook that you're referring to?

Also, are there other proven private sale venues online?

I don't shop bonsai material online very often, it would be nice to get some more exposure... And I like this thread, it would be nice if the BN sales forum was more active.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've posted some "wanted to buy" and never got a hit, which seemed strange to me. I offered to trade something for something else posted and was amazed by the over-valued offer. I have a vendor who buys my surplus stuff who gives me a better deal than I can get hat the club auctions. I'd be very open to do some deals, but I feel very alone in the wilderness.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have sold lots of stuff here, but I find that sometimes I can get closer to actual value on the FB auctions. But I have often offered it here first, then moved it over there if I don’t get a hit.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it would be great if more members just looked a bit more often. I know that I personally will have several bonsai pots and slabs for sale this winter through spring.
I do appreciate everyone's response.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're relatively close to me, whatcha got up for sale or trade? ;)
Really nothing at present but that will change later this winter and next spring. I will be working hard on bonsai pots and trays and other pottery accessories.
Thank you for your interest.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Is there a specific sales market place on facebook that you're referring to?

Also, are there other proven private sale venues online?

I don't shop bonsai material online very often, it would be nice to get some more exposure... And I like this thread, it would be nice if the BN sales forum was more active.
I too would like to know the where abouts of bonsai for sale through Facebook market place. I’m not a big facebooker but I do shop market place often, just never see any bonsai listed

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Thats a joke right?

No, not really. There's plenty of users on this site for a robust community. But not all of them are going want to buy whatever someone happens to be selling.

It takes more eyeballs, plus more sellers/selection, which will lead to more interest and more eyeballs, and bring more selection, etc, etc.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It is depressing. Personally I would love to see used tools or supplies, pots etc. I can't afford the couple trees I have seen in old postings but seedlings and stuff would be awesome. Hell @BunjaeKorea is selling supplies commercialy now. He should be a regular poster there. I'd buy.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have purchased both trees and pots from members here. I would rather buy from here than anonymous people on ebay, and I don't do FB.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think it would be great if more members just looked a bit more often. I know that I personally will have several bonsai pots and slabs for sale this winter through spring.
I do appreciate everyone's response.
I would be very interested in that. Are you actually a potter as well? That's pretty cool.

Top Bottom