Why leave nebari buried??

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My trees in development are all in grow boxes. I don’t have any scientific explanation of why I do what I do. I bury the roots to keep them growing well. I also have a mesh screen I put on top the the substrate level. I consistently get strong fine root development....and also get a lot of roots closer to the surface that develop quickly. I really started to use the mesh to keep myself from walking substrate away from the roots I intentionally buried. The mesh also keeps the birds and chipmunks away and keeps the substrate shaded. The use of the mesh and the buried roots just works for me. I attached a photo of the mesh covered over an American Elm in development.
475192D6-4983-4990-B2EE-F31AD29420ED.jpeg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you remove the sphagnum after a certain period or leave it?
I remove it after a month or so, depending on the progress the tree is making. I have left it on for longer, but it can become an issue later in the summer, with constantly soggy conditions from thunderstorms etc.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On newly collected trees it's vital to bury the surface roots sufficiently to prevent drying out of both the chopped ends of the larger surface roots, as well as to prevent drying out of new roots that sprout from those chopped ends. Most new enthusiasts want to show off the surface roots of their newly collected trees right from the start. Bad idea. They can be revealed again in two or three years when the tree is ready to go to a bonsai pot.
This is excellent advice. Burying the nebari on newly collected trees is a must. If you try to show off immediately after collection, you're asking for trouble with die back.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you remove the sphagnum after a certain period or leave it?

I'm particularly curious about this question during the winter. If the goal is to keep the roots moist during the growing season, is it best to remove in the winter as part of the usual clean up of debris to reduce the risk of overwintering fungal/bugs/etc.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My trees in development are all in grow boxes. I don’t have any scientific explanation of why I do what I do. I bury the roots to keep them growing well. I also have a mesh screen I put on top the the substrate level. I consistently get strong fine root development....and also get a lot of roots closer to the surface that develop quickly. I really started to use the mesh to keep myself from walking substrate away from the roots I intentionally buried. The mesh also keeps the birds and chipmunks away and keeps the substrate shaded. The use of the mesh and the buried roots just works for me. I attached a photo of the mesh covered over an American Elm in development.
View attachment 271651
What kind of mesh do you use? I really like this idea.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
is it best to remove in the winter as part of the usual clean up of debris to reduce the risk of overwintering fungal/bugs/etc.

Moss insulated the roots for me.
But I'm talking live green moss.
Same where it is same.

When you say "reduce the risk" I think of what is in mulch that folks "winterize" with.
And how a layer of moss can keep those nasties out of the soil, so plus 2 for leave it on.

It's way easier to remove a sheet of dirty moss off soil, than pick dirty out of soil.

Sorce

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Same where it is same.

When you say "reduce the risk" I think of what is in mulch that folks "winterize" with.
And how a layer of moss can keep those nasties out of the soil, so plus 2 for leave it on.

It's way easier to remove a sheet of dirty moss off soil, than pick dirty out of soil.

Sorce
Yeah, I covered in mulch over the winter last year and came back to a fungal mess.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Same where it is same.

Sorce
When I mulched my trees with wood chips, I always covered the soil surface with landscape fabric first to keep the two from mixing. It was certainly more work but worth the extra effort imo.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
to remove in the winter as part of the usual clean up of debris
One reason I would remove the sphagnum moss is because it can become hydrophobic when dry.

I would be afraid of it drying out and repelling water since it'll probably be a decent amount of time between waterings or relying on rain.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What kind of mesh do you use? I really like this idea.
It’s a standard screen availability at Home Depot, Lowe’s, Amazon....likely even eBay. It’s called Pet Proof Screen....Pet Resistent Screen. I buy the size that fits a sliding patio door and cut it apart. Custom fit to the boxes I build. I don’t remember exactly but I recall the best lowest price was at The Home Depot. It’s very flexible. Cuts easy with simple household scissors. Does not deteriorate in my outdoor climate left on all year...multiple years like 3-4 years and it’s still good. Rain and water goes right through it easily. I do lift it up to apply any pellet-like fertilizer though. It works well for me.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s a standard screen availability at Home Depot, Lowe’s, Amazon....likely even eBay. It’s called Pet Proof Screen....Pet Resistent Screen. I buy the size that fits a sliding patio door and cut it apart. Custom fit to the boxes I build. I don’t remember exactly but I recall the best lowest price was at The Home Depot. It’s very flexible. Cuts easy with simple household scissors. Does not deteriorate in my outdoor climate left on all year...multiple years like 3-4 years and it’s still good. Rain and water goes right through it easily. I do lift it up to apply any pellet-like fertilizer though. It works well for me.

Thanks. That is different than patio screen right?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks. That is different than patio screen right?
Different than regular patio screen...the grey wire type. However, this is a common patio screen though....sold as pet proof patio screen.....most used by people who might have pets. I use it for regular patio screening too...even though no pets. It just looks better, lasts longer and goes on easier. It’s like a flexible outdoor rubber poly somethingorother covered fiber. does not fall apart no matter what shape you cut. As my tree trunks thicken the screen just bends....it does not cut into the bark.

Top Bottom