Why Not Have Many Tiny Drainage Holes?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think roots and substrate would fill smaller holes quickly, leading to problems. Walter Pall uses many pots by a maker that uses multiple small holes as opposed to larger ones. My teacher (Rodney Clemons) and I agree that larger holes are not only better for drainage and not clogging quickly, but also allow adequate air into the roots from the bottom. I have no science to back this claim, though I do subscribe to it.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Could hole placement play a part where tiny holes are used?
We see them grouped together in the same position a big hole would be, but would twice as many small holes spread evenly across the bottom of the pot allow for better drainage and airflow?

I think we can assume that matching substrate particle size to the hole size can at least somewhat alleviate issues with clogging, and there may be other mitigations that could be employed, so I'll ignore that for the moment.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ilik
You learn things by messing around. I made a small one just for fun. The idea of never having to use a screen again is appealing, but this took too long and it looks awful.

View attachment 425283

The inside is flush, but...
View attachment 425284

I scooped out the bottom so the mesh is only ~1/16" thick like a screen. I will have to get this into my next firing in April.
View attachment 425285
I like it!

Top Bottom