Why not make growing media with builder grit + garden Soil

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Probably 30 years ago I tried Grodan's rock wool, both the cube and the loose form. At least the way they were made back then did not work out. Its been so long ago I forgot exactly why. Similar coarse vermiculite was something I used 30 years ago. It held too much water and was too soft to mix with anything other than very light media like pelite. Then the supplier I used was shut down due to asbestos contamination in their vermiculite. Wear a high grade dust mask when sifting vermiculite. I'm sure if they are currently in business, there is no asbestos, but it is one of the potential contaminants of vermiculite, at least in the bad old days.

I almost feel the urge to try again with these products, but then I look at the bags of pumice and akadama I have in the yard, and think, I don't really have the time to go back to experimenting.
Yes,definately no asbestos nowadays.Sais’ on the bag.I like this product...certainly cheaper.I am determined to make it work....all the humic acid I use it turns brown like akadama.BVF showed how to anchor a tree in a pot once and you could literally sling it around if wanted to.
Am I missing something?Why does it need to be a heavy anchoring media.I mean in a small pot even akadama not so anchoring.
Akadama th bomb...I used it. I just refuse to buy it.

I fantasized the idea of a fine filament of layers of the grodan wool or something through a course perlite and growchunk mix.😆😆😆

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 11

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@cmeg1
Clearly the products have evolved. And honestly, your organic nutrient approach I am getting really fascinated with. I just need to sell the 200 or so pounds of chemical fertilizer I have in stock, first. LOL. The use of humic acids and seaweed is certainly one very good option you are using that I did not try 30 years ago, and could make all the difference in the world. I do like the idea of largely inert media, in conjunction with organic fertilizers.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
40 years - 5 mm sifted silica based gravel - for mixing concrete
plus aged compost
and if needed 5 mm crushed red brick [ holds more
water,

climate - no rain 6 months, then around 6 inches monthly.

Difference to US - not humid and breezy, Also 6 inches rain over a month

World Class ???????
Shown in Japan on slides and received certificates.
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom