Wich cutter to buy

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello!

I'm on the market for buying some cutters.

But I been thinking whether if I should buy one concave cutter and one knob cutter or if I should buy one round concave cutter, instead of the knob cutter or/and the concave cutter. What do people recommend?

Thank you in advance!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've found the never ending supply of the Sorceress's busted spring cuticle cutters are enough for small branch cutting you get from a small concave cutter.

I'd opt for a large knob cutter.

It's the only tool not really made in a cheaper "option".

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When I did a workshop with Owen Reich, he really seemed to prefer spherical concave cutters for general use over the flush cutters. It's a sentiment that seems to be echoed a lot by more experienced members in my club. I think you'll eventually need dedicated knob cutters no matter which direction you go though.

Personally, I have done well with flush cutters and knob cutters but I'm also not keen on dropping $65 on another tool. 😃

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you for your replies!
I'm thinking of buying a round concave cutter instead of the normal concave cutter and then buy a knob cutter. Will i need the normal concave also or can the round concave do the job better?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You prefer them over concave? I had one ask me about the difference. I don't have one, so no clue. I have what was classified as a concave cutter.
Yes, I have several concave cutters and several knob cutters, and more and more, I find myself using just the spherical concaves. They leave a rounded cut, but your hand can be positioned below (or above) the branch to be cut, like your concave cutters. Knob cutter blades are such that your hand is positioned into the branch to be cut. Thought to explain, but try both and you’ll understand immediately. All three have their uses, but the spherical concaves are pretty good in all applications.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, I have several concave cutters and several knob cutters, and more and more, I find myself using just the spherical concaves. They leave a rounded cut, but your hand can be positioned below (or above) the branch to be cut, like your concave cutters. Knob cutter blades are such that your hand is positioned into the branch to be cut. Thought to explain, but try both and you’ll understand immediately. All three have their uses, but the spherical concaves are pretty good in all applications.
I have knob cutters. Just not the spherical cutters. Thanks for trying to explain.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The point Brian was making is that you can use them from any angle and they will make a nicely shaped cut. The only time I don’t use them is when a branch is too big for them (I have concave cutters that are larger).

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When do people use concave cutter and when do people use knob cutter?

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Concave cutters are for cutting branches off flush with the trunk (or a larger branch). Knob cutters are for cutting off knobs (swellings on a trunk, or branch) where you have direct access to what you want to cut off. I’ve also used mine for gnawing down large tap roots, or residual stump on the bottom of an air layer.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Everyone who has rounded/spherical concave cutters recommends them, in my experience. The only drawback that I've heard of is that they are more difficult to sharpen. There are a couple of other threads on this subject to check out also.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I have several concave cutters and several knob cutters, and more and more, I find myself using just the spherical concaves. They leave a rounded cut, but your hand can be positioned below (or above) the branch to be cut, like your concave cutters.
For me, they all seem to bend within weeks of work. Not sure why that is as I do not typically use them on thick branches. My regular concaves last for years on end.. :(
Unlucky brand?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
For me, they all seem to bend within weeks of work. Not sure why that is as I do not typically use them on thick branches. My regular concaves last for years on end.. :(
Unlucky brand?
I've broken shovels and blunted axes on Yews. Are you sure you're not just working with some of the toughest woods around?

I am a big fan of rounded concave cutters from China. It costs me roughly 18 euros to replace one. That's 9 euros a year, give or take. I'm fine with doing it like that.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've broken shovels and blunted axes on Yews. Are you sure you're not just working with some of the toughest woods around?
Haha, well.. I broke the head of a knob cutter on old yew - a 1cm / 1/2 inch thick branch only. So I am carefull there.
So no.. It is not just the wood: I bent one on a 1 year old Tilia branchlet!

Top Bottom