Wife gets a swimming pool, I get the wisteria

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've had my eye on it for years. Now it's in the way of the demo for the swimming pool so it's mine. I absolutely did NOT agree to build the pool so I could get the wisteria. Some things just work out.

It's been growing in my garden for 20 years and it's built some girth.

IMG_7294.JPG

It's big.
IMG_1504.JPG

I'm 6'6". That's a big vine. But it came up easily.

Scott

Last edited:

Random User

Reaction score
I have a feeling that this is going to be an awesome tree, even though it's going to be larger than you'd likely wish for... BUT, at least you can wash your used pots out in the pool... if ya don't get caught!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have a feeling that this is going to be an awesome tree, even though it's going to be larger than you'd likely wish for... BUT, at least you can wash your used pots out in the pool... if ya don't get caught!

I've always thought wisteria had to be a bit on the large side to carry them off well. With the large, pendulous, compound flowers, a tree needs some size to display them to their best effect. Maybe not quite this big, but I'll cut it back some.

And great idea about the swimming pool. Water'll be unusable for swimming anyway once I start using it as my fertilizer reservoir.

Scott

Random User

Reaction score
I've always thought wisteria had to be a bit on the large side to carry them off well. With the large, pendulous, compound flowers, a tree needs some size to display them to their best effect. Maybe not quite this big, but I'll cut it back some.

And great idea about the swimming pool. Water'll be unusable for swimming anyway once I start using it as my fertilizer reservoir.

Scott

I fully agree with needing to be on the larger size... but I don't think you'll be able to reduce it by much and still be able to showcase that trunk. Oftentimes, when flowering trees and shrubs aren't in full bloom, there isn't much to look at... that trunk had an unusual appeal. Tall and skinny, it'll look like some Prom Queen when in bloom.

You might want to look into a chemical resistant liner for your pool... however, that might make your wife suspicious of your sudden interest in the pool, especially if you leave any information laying around on aquatic plants.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi Lars. I do draw, but probably not with this tree. Wisteria are grown specifically for their floral display. They look unbelievable for 2 weeks and like hell for the rest of the year. So the point is to grow branches that display the pendulous foliage to its best effect. Consider this wisteria.

IMG_5080.JPG

Spectacular in flower. But the branch structure is not so much. But that's not what it's grown for. I think this one is a similar size to mine as well.

Scott

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That thing is a beast! Always wanted a "largish" Wisteria.

I assume it has been flowering for you? But now that the roots have been trimmed back, how long you think for it to reestablish in a pot? To bloom again.

And is that another Wisteria on upper right in the first pic?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That thing is a beast! Always wanted a "largish" Wisteria.

I assume it has been flowering for you? But now that the roots have been trimmed back, how long you think for it to reestablish in a pot? To bloom again.

And is that another Wisteria on upper right in the first pic?

It's been flowering reliably every spring. I'm guessing it'll take a couple of years to re-establish. Tree in the background is a ligustrum. My wife said I couldn't have it, but who's say? She probably wasn't serious. And if she was, she'll forget all about it when she finds out about the fertilizer in the swimming pool.

S

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I got my wisteria three years ago, it has not bloomed and it was blooming before. The repot dies that to these (apparently) and same as getting dry, they are just so thirsty.

Seriously I would chop it lower, or it will be all over the place! If mine throws a shoot and it touches something it can go like 4 meters in a season.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I got my wisteria three years ago, it has not bloomed and it was blooming before. The repot dies that to these (apparently) and same as getting dry, they are just so thirsty.

Seriously I would chop it lower, or it will be all over the place! If mine throws a shoot and it touches something it can go like 4 meters in a season.

I will chop it lower thanks.

S

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wired into into the box. Big tree, big box, lots of soil. One day I'll learn my lesson, I suppose. Until then, it's good to recycle soil.

View attachment 127756

Scott

If the wife complaines about the fertilizer pool, just park a Tesla on her side of the garage.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A pool...AND a wisteria?

I want to do a ....."it's like buying a ____ and a _____.."

But there is NO Combination of things that require more maintenance for the amount of pleasure gained.

(5 years later..)

"Scott, how about an update on the ebihara thread?"

"Can't, gotta clean the pool."

"Scott, what happened to your BC?"

"Died, the wisteria shaded it out."

"Scott, how's your RMJ?"

"Leggy, haven't wired it in a while, had to close the pool."

I hope you have a big Ass key ring!

Just Playing! Nice trunk!

Sorce

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Lars. I do draw, but probably not with this tree. Wisteria are grown specifically for their floral display. They look unbelievable for 2 weeks and like hell for the rest of the year. So the point is to grow branches that display the pendulous foliage to its best effect. Consider this wisteria.

View attachment 127760

Spectacular in flower. But the branch structure is not so much. But that's not what it's grown for. I think this one is a similar size to mine as well.

Scott
When I saw the first pic I thought of this tree. I believe your sights set on the perfect display of your material.
I am excited to see its progress, very nice save!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A pool...AND a wisteria?

I want to do a ....."it's like buying a ____ and a _____.."

But there is NO Combination of things that require more maintenance for the amount of pleasure gained.

(5 years later..)

"Scott, how about an update on the ebihara thread?"

"Can't, gotta clean the pool."

"Scott, what happened to your BC?"

"Died, the wisteria shaded it out."

"Scott, how's your RMJ?"

"Leggy, haven't wired it in a while, had to close the pool."

I hope you have a big Ass key ring!

Just Playing! Nice trunk!

Sorce
I agree, Sorce.

Scott, instead the pool, or koi pond, build her a garage for the Tesla! Just think: Tesla's have very little maintenance. No oil to change, no fan belts, no spark plugs, no exhaust systems, no annual pollution inspections, no transmission fluid to change, no transmission to fail, no stops at the gas station, since the car uses regenerative braking, brakes last much much longer...

Think how much more time you would have for bonsai!

Top Bottom