Wife's Shimpaku

goosetown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really love this tree. From almost every angle, it makes me think of someone on the stage - a Tenor belting out an aria, arms outstretched, seems most appropriate. I for one hope you don't plan to do too much to it.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Goosetown? Great screen name!

No, this tree has now arrived at its destination.

I always like to do something interesting with challenging material, and this guy was certainly challenging. Usually I prefer a naturalistic style, but in actuality I just work with what the tree seems to want to do, and this tree - given Shimpakus' growth habit here in this climate - seemed to want to do this. Not sure what others would have done with it, but this is where it took me. Like you, I also like his dramatic/histrionic style, so there will be no more significant changes that I can foresee. Glad you like it.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Goosetown? Great screen name!

No, this tree has now arrived at its destination.

I always like to do something interesting with challenging material, and this guy was certainly challenging. Usually I prefer a naturalistic style, but in actuality I just work with what the tree seems to want to do, and this tree - given Shimpakus' growth habit here in this climate - seemed to want to do this. Not sure what others would have done with it, but this is where it took me. Like you, I also like his dramatic/histrionic style, so there will be no more significant changes that I can foresee. Glad you like it.

I actually really like this tree and its style. You may not be able to define it by form and style and please do not try to make it conform to one; it's wonderful as it is. It's natural, and plausible. It is not contrived in appearance, it looks like the powers that be made it the way it is with no appologies. Good tree.

The only two things I could suggest would be a little more fertilizer and a closer attention to pinching.

Top Bottom