Wigerts Soil Mix

Fi5ch

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Has anybody used Wigert's course soil mix (Lava rock, Stalite, and Pine Bark, 1:1:1/2) with success?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know what stalite is but Wigert's must use different mixes. I have bought a couple dozen plants from them and they are always in a mix that is mostly pine bark.

Fi5ch

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Per their website, Stalite is "Expanded Slate" that looks to be 1/4" to 3/8" in size.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I lived in Florida I would use it too.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Shipping on their trees isn't cheap, I imagine soil would be very expensive.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shipping on their trees isn't cheap, I imagine soil would be very expensive.
Their shipping rates are actually very good, but all shipping everywhere is going up all the time.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yeah I had considered buying soil from Wigert's this year, but shipping just put it to be too expensive compared to Bonsai Jack. Heard a lot of people using their organic mix and really liking it so I'm trying it out on my deciduous trees. I was already using their pine bark and lava for my own tropical mix so just made sense. No complaints. Nicely sifted too!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah I had considered buying soil from Wigert's this year, but shipping just put it to be too expensive compared to Bonsai Jack. Heard a lot of people using their organic mix and really liking it so I'm trying it out on my deciduous trees. I was already using their pine bark and lava for my own tropical mix so just made sense. No complaints. Nicely sifted too!
Their Bonsai Block is fantastic. (Bonsai Jack) It is harder and more granular than other clay. It is fired about 1800 F.

D

Deleted member 32750

I purchased Akadama from Wigerts a few weeks ago and they actually refunded me the overage that I paid in shipping based on initial estimates. That is a level of service that is uncommon now. I'm fairly certain most businesses would just pocket the overage.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I purchased Akadama from Wigerts a few weeks ago and they actually refunded me the overage that I paid in shipping based on initial estimates. That is a level of service that is uncommon now. I'm fairly certain most businesses would just pocket the overage.
This has happened a few times when I bought plants from them.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
They are a class act for sure, just never bought soil from them. I use Bonsai Jack.

Top Bottom