Wiggarts Bonsai is amazing!

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Seeing them dig up that insanely large bougainvillea inspired me to attempt my first yamadori. They make it look so easy!

My first was an obvious failure, but it got me started.

Bman7689

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I just got a dwarf barbados from wigerts also. I got the 6 in pot and this thing looks incredible. The pic is after I cleaned it up a bit, was overgrown and crowded. How has yours adjusted to the illinois climate? Mine dropped some leaves at first, but seems to be settling in ok now. I'm going to repot in the summer. I was going to wait until next year but it's very pot bound.

Bman7689

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A few weeks ago I was browsing ebay out of sheer boredom. Wigert's had several trees listed that were getting alot of attention from bidders. I spied a James Walker bougainvillea that no one had bid on, so placed the minimum bid just because. I won. I knew it was to cold to ship at the time so Andrea asked me to let her know when I thought it would be safe. Sunday I let her know it would be OK to ship and added a few things, which made the shipping end up quite reasonable. They came today. I added a lavender bougie and 2 dwarf Barbados cherries. I'm very pleased with them all. I was really surprised by the size of the lavender bougie, damn good deal for $25.View attachment 288465View attachment 288466View attachment 288467View attachment 288468
I just got a dwarf barbados from wigerts also. I got the 6 in pot and this thing looks incredible. The pic is after I cleaned it up a bit, was overgrown and crowded. How has yours adjusted to the IL climate? Mine dropped some leaves at first, but seems to be settling in ok now. I'm going to repot when it's a little warmer out. I was going to wait until next year, but it's very pot bound.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1588536290221.jpg
    FB_IMG_1588536290221.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 37

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow- that fat willow leaf has my full attention!
I almost went in on one when I was buying my house. I will have money for fat trees one day. Just not yet.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I just got a dwarf barbados from wigerts also. I got the 6 in pot and this thing looks incredible. The pic is after I cleaned it up a bit, was overgrown and crowded. How has yours adjusted to the IL climate? Mine dropped some leaves at first, but seems to be settling in ok now. I'm going to repot when it's a little warmer out. I was going to wait until next year, but it's very pot bound.
Mine are doing great, even indoors for the winter under lights, they do fine. I would wait a bit to repot, but it will do fine. I've never been disappointed in anything I've received from Wigerts.

IABonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I really like these guys both as a nursery and as people. They are super easy to get in touch with and get help from. Several times they took several different photos of stock and messaged them to me on Facebook. Some of the rarer tropical things can be found for a lot less from smaller Florida nurseries but they are by far the best to communicate with.

Also someone should edit this thread to spell their name correctly lol

Mimstrel

Sapling
Reaction score
I got a sweet Acacia from them, shipped to me, and was really happy with everything. It was packaged super well, arrived in really great condition, and a nice little tree at a good price (purchased on 99 Cent Bonsai on FB). Shipping cost is a drag, but that's true of a lot of online transactions. Definitely will be watching their stock online and adding them to the "places to stop if I drive to Florida" list!

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
They’re my closest real nursery. There are a few others but they’re appointment only and after 5 tries at each I gave up. Eric did say he’d go collecting with me in exchange for a couple trees so I’m super excited! Eric, Andrea, and all the staff are amazing. They have more than three employees but every time I’m there at least one or both of the Wigert’s is out trimming trees or moving inventory or helping a customer. They’ve got a ton of inventory in pots, soil and trees! Plus they’re going strong online and working with local clubs so I think that helps keep them busy enough to have so much inventory. I don’t have much to compare it to but I can say customer service wise they’re above and beyond almost all of the garden centers and nurseries I’ve dealt with south of Tampa and north of Naples. There are some other good regular nurseries with helpful staff but Wigert’s is amazing at it.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
If any of you come to visit them make sure you let me know! I’d love to put faces to trees!
I did talk my husband into venturing to Schley's in Deland last summer when we were in Daytona. But I could only get 1 small tree because we were flying.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I did talk my husband into venturing to Schley's in Deland last summer when we were in Daytona. But I could only get 1 small tree because we were flying.
Awwww that’s not too far either. Hour and a half to two hours away. Haven’t made that trip yet as I’ve been working on the house too much. 45 minutes to Wigert’s is too close to try other places when I’m busy!

Top Bottom