Wild collected Potentilla, time to explore.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been obsessed with collecting in Northern Michigan for a while now. Mostly Thuja and Larch. I’m really excited to have a new species around here to be interested in.

Potentilla have a lot of pros, including small leaves, flowers and deadwood! The ones with the most deadwood and interest are harder to collect with success though. I have just started with these but here is one I have collected that was used mostly as a test to see how the species will do. It’s been growing great after a collection this spring. I also collected one last fall that is doing even better.
79C3C300-ECAE-4A82-A0A8-F86A042DC72F.jpeg48D4E63C-1123-4619-B068-1240EBF7CDD0.jpeg113AFE5E-16F8-40D0-A6EC-438A3E537744.jpeg
I threw in a shot of my garden for fun.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been obsessed with collecting in Northern Michigan for a while now. Mostly Thuja and Larch. I’m really excited to have a new species around here to be interested in.

Potentilla have a lot of pros, including small leaves, flowers and deadwood! The ones with the most deadwood and interest are harder to collect with success though. I have just started with these but here is one I have collected that was used mostly as a test to see how the species will do. It’s been growing great after a collection this spring. I also collected one last fall that is doing even better.
View attachment 310795View attachment 310796View attachment 310797
I threw in a shot of my garden for fun.

Cool.

From my experience collecting small but old and interesting ones plus speaking with an easterner or two experienced with these they are quite easy to collect successfully.

I believe the key is to get them early before they start to lead out. You’ve probably noticed that they do leaf out very quickly and earlier than most. Mine are usually starting to move before they have even finished melting out of the snow. I’ve gotta be quick if I want to repot them so generally it doesn’t happen. 😉.

Here’s one. I collected this and about 10 similar one day a few years back. Dug from serious hardpan with very little feeder roots on most. None of them seemed to care, all survived easily. 50AAF54D-41B3-433F-BE8C-C1AD77874B36.jpegA39D42A5-C3CE-4EDE-B2E7-75ED42CF06B6.jpeg

Attachments

• AE9C2132-714D-4A2C-BF7B-6169D0E1765A.jpeg
    AE9C2132-714D-4A2C-BF7B-6169D0E1765A.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool.

From my experience collecting small but old and interesting ones plus speaking with an easterner or two experienced with these they are quite easy to collect successfully.

I believe the key is to get them early before they start to lead out. You’ve probably noticed that they do leaf out very quickly and earlier than most. Mine are usually starting to move before they have even finished melting out of the snow. I’ve gotta be quick if I want to repot them so generally it doesn’t happen. 😉.

Here’s one. I collected this and about 10 similar one day a few years back. Dug from serious hardpan with very little feeder roots on most. None of them seemed to care, all survived easily. View attachment 310818View attachment 310819
awesome little tree. I will be looking for some smaller but I rarely see these done in a bigger size. Probably hard to find. Also thank you for the tips about early collection.

Top Bottom