Wild growth Japanese Maple - Harvest

Reaction score
Was touring my father-in-law's garden when we spotted this 3-4ft Japanese Maple. It was growing over a dead azalea bush and hidden amongst a bunch of other shrubs. He said this would be the best time to take it so we dug it up and carried it home.

The roots were all mixed up with the dead azalea bush so I removed as much of the rotting roots I could find. What was left of the JP roots wasn't a ton.

Being that it is still +3ft tall I know I'm going to have to cut it back but with the root stress I don't know if I should do the cutback now or wait.

So, should I cut it now and if so how far down? Or, should I just turn it into a yard tree because it likely will never result into something interesting? Or air layer it?

The fact that it doesn't have a graft and is probably already around 10 years old makes me want to use it but...since it was a surprise find I'm looking for ideas.

Carl JP 1.jpg

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Any idea how it got there? Looks like an upright dissectum, which is pretty cool.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was touring my father-in-law's garden when we spotted this 3-4ft Japanese Maple. It was growing over a dead azalea bush and hidden amongst a bunch of other shrubs. He said this would be the best time to take it so we dug it up and carried it home.

The roots were all mixed up with the dead azalea bush so I removed as much of the rotting roots I could find. What was left of the JP roots wasn't a ton.

Being that it is still +3ft tall I know I'm going to have to cut it back but with the root stress I don't know if I should do the cutback now or wait.

So, should I cut it now and if so how far down? Or, should I just turn it into a yard tree because it likely will never result into something interesting? Or air layer it?

The fact that it doesn't have a graft and is probably already around 10 years old makes me want to use it but...since it was a surprise find I'm looking for ideas.

View attachment 402651
Cut if back now and you will probably kill it. Find a place in the yard that's protected from the wind. Mulch the pot as much as possible. Wait for spring.

Top Bottom