Wild mountaintop tree

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I saw this tree on a hike this morning on Massanutten mountain. I thought it was an interesting study on natural branch selection. A tree could be trained this way with a drastic trunk chop, and instead of trying to hide the scar, turn it into a big Uro. You can't see the hollow on this one, but it was a big hollow space, with scar tissue rolling over the edges.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw this tree on a hike this morning on Massanutten mountain. I thought it was an interesting study on natural branch selection. A tree could be trained this way with a drastic trunk chop, and instead of trying to hide the scar, turn it into a big Uro. You can't see the hollow on this one, but it was a big hollow space, with scar tissue rolling over the edges.

Can't see anything on this one!
;)

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I used to teach skiing at Massanutten waaaay back when. Grew up near there too. The Shenandoah Valley greatly influences my bonsai work. BTW, if you're out in the Blue Ridge highlands this time of year, watch out for timber rattlers. They are coming out of their dens in the rocks and cluster in some areas to warm up. Watch your step.

Top Bottom