Wild Olive - Converted to literati

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I inherited this Wild Olive in 2014 when my father in law passed away. It was his oldest tree and estimated to be from 1940. Its whole life had been in a pot and I do not think that there was much styling done on the tree ever.

Nov 2014
1.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

There had been some new growth right in the base of the fork but I removed it as it was forming a knuckle
13.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
In Sept 2015, I was still no closer to finding a new style for the tree.

28.jpg 29.jpg 30.jpg 31.jpg

I posted this tree on another forum with an idea that I had. I wanted to grow out the canopy and create a large umbrella style tree
32.jpg

One of the members of the forum (Herman) drew a great image of what he saw as the future of the tree.

33.jpg

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
In August 2016, I took the tree to a friend who is a bonsai expert and we had a long hard look at the tree. He asked me in which direction I believe the tree should go? I have always had a great admiration for Literati style trees and I believed that due to the narrow trunk and great deadwood, it could be converted into a literati. He agreed with me on this and we got to work.

First it was cutting back the branch with least movement.

38.jpg

All that growth gone in one cut.

39.jpg

We then cut back many of the other branches and cleaned up the rest of the tree.
41.jpg

As there were numerous weeds and Wild Garlic growing in the pot, I decided to clean out all the soil and find those horrible little bulbs and then repot the tree into new soil.

45.jpg

50.jpg 51.jpg

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The tree has recovered nicely after the repot and clean up.

There is loads of new growth happening and I am removing small buds all along the trunk line.

IMG_3682.JPG IMG_3683.JPG IMG_3684.JPG

Where the cuts took place will have to be carved in the future to make it look natural.
IMG_3683.jpg IMG_3682.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3685.JPG
    IMG_3685.JPG
    592.1 KB · Views: 1

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Now I had a look at the tree and I believe that this is the correct front. It shows off the deadwood nicely.
IMG_3686.JPG

I will need to start wiring the upper branches downwards.

Anybody like to hand out some thoughts, advice, suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
I think you made the best decision so far.
It will probably sprout new branches where you made the big cut.
Perhaps you could grow a branch from there more in line and direction with the current trunk to get some lower foliage. Making a dropbranch from the top may not the best choice.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Mm, i would let it grow up initially i believe
my virtuall skills are low but something along the line of this i had in mind.

image.jpg

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting.
I don't know olive, but bending that top down seems to make the most sense.
Looks like the leaves have elongated since the repot. Maybe that's a fertilization thing.
Also, in the earliest pics there seems to be something on the underside of the leaves. Is that an olive thing, or a pest?
CW

Milly

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like Hannes Fritz...?
I like your decision to remove that branch but not the idea of a dropped branch. I would like to see a very simple, open canopy.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
NIce work, I agree, no drop branches, this tree needs branches that rise slightly above horizontal. Its trunk is reaching for the sky, don't contradict that with branches than go below horizontal. All branches should be at least 15 to 45 degrees above horizontal.

consider letting a bud or two at the cut scars grow to escape branches, to help heal over the scars. Might not have to heal completely, just enough to get a natural roll of bark over the edges of the cuts.

Nice tree.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anybody like to hand out some thoughts, advice, suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.

If "front" shows dead wood but also greatest movement this might be better idea then just showing most dead wood.
Think happy compromise:D.
Also where pruning stubs remain use of knob cutter would hasten natural looking heal over and eliminate obtrusive stubs.

Last edited:

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks like Hannes Fritz...?
I like your decision to remove that branch but not the idea of a dropped branch. I would like to see a very simple, open canopy.
Hi Milly

Thanks so much. Yes that is Hannes. Good friend of mine and definitely my go to guy when I need help with my bonsai.

I am leaving it now to get healthy and grow and then will look at design in Spring 2017

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm surprised you didn't leave a bit of a Jin where the other half of the fork was removed.
Hi Colin

Thanks so much. We actually did discuss that but we felt that once it has dried out, we will be able to carve away and make that area fit in better with the flow of the deadwood on the tree and not have jin take away from the dead wood movement.

It may have been the wrong decision but only time will tell.

Top Bottom