Wild Plum Yamadori

Pungvunchuk

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello All!
This autumn I found in the forest a little plum tree that I decided to dig and try to transform into bonsai. I had cut the roots around the tree with my shovel to prepare the tree for digging this spring.
I wanna ask you about any tips on how to dig it carefully and what soil I need to use - it's own soil from the forest or some another mix (which one?). Any other tips are welcome.

Thank you.

P.S. Photos of the plum tree.
photo_2021-12-15_09-57-02.jpg
photo_2021-12-15_09-57-07.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This seems to be a young plant, which you can dig up as soon as deep frost is gone, up to the moment the buds are about to open. Clean off all old soil as good as possible. (Some would wash the roots, I personally do not). Then put in a largish training pot, backfilled with open, coarse substrate. It should not have troubles.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they take to airlayers, I'd dig it with old soil and just yard it for layer later.

Welcome to Crazy!

Where on this planet are you?

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Agree that plum are really easy to transplant and that one is just a baby so even easier to transplant. No need for care or anything special. Just dig, cut any long roots short, get rid of most field soil and plant it into a pot with good potting soil or into the garden.

I usually dig plums when dormant. Actual time will depend on your climate and location. For best help add a location to your profile so we can see what part of the world you are.

Pungvunchuk

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This seems to be a young plant, which you can dig up as soon as deep frost is gone, up to the moment the buds are about to open. Clean off all old soil as good as possible. (Some would wash the roots, I personally do not). Then put in a largish training pot, backfilled with open, coarse substrate. It should not have troubles.
Which type of substrate could you reccomend?

Pungvunchuk

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If they take to airlayers, I'd dig it with old soil and just yard it for layer later.

Welcome to Crazy!

Where on this planet are you?

Sorce
No, I wanna take it for growing and trying to make it looks like bonsai, not for airlayers)

I am from Lviv, Ukraine (zone 6a).

Pungvunchuk

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Agree that plum are really easy to transplant and that one is just a baby so even easier to transplant. No need for care or anything special. Just dig, cut any long roots short, get rid of most field soil and plant it into a pot with good potting soil or into the garden.

I usually dig plums when dormant. Actual time will depend on your climate and location. For best help add a location to your profile so we can see what part of the world you are.
Thank you.
I added information about my city and zone.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wanna take it for growing and trying to make it looks like bonsai, not for airlayers)

I understand.

Seems the transplant shouldn't be an issue.

If it was, it would be safer to keep the old soil and start a layer for the purpose of having a nice root spread.

We got your back even if our evil Govy don't!

Sorce

Top Bottom