Wild Plum

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Seeing Brian's Chinese Quince somehow reminded me of this Plum. I think they had similar structures. It got me missing this tree and wondering what the future could have held for it. It was really coming into it's own and I could have maybe shown it for the first time this year. It's another reminder of the fragility of life (esp. In a bonsai pot!). I had been developing this for 15 years since I dug up the stump in '07 and it only took one week and a careless neighbor to kill it. I've tried hard not to hold it against him as he probably felt horrible and most likely has no idea of what it takes to develop a tree to this stage.

Maybe we should start a dead tree thread ("The Dead Thread" 🤣) like "The Tree Thread" or "The Shohin Thread" where we can post our losses and collectively mourn.

Here's the last photos I have of the tree from the previous winter after wiring. RIP little fella 🙏🏼

P.S. I'm setting up a drip system for my trees so I'm not so dependent on others when I go on vacation! 🤦🏻‍♂️
Screenshot_20220508-125054~2.png
Screenshot_20220508-125104~2.png

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seeing Brian's Chinese Quince somehow reminded me of this Plum. I think they had similar structures. It got me missing this tree and wondering what the future could have held for it. It was really coming into it's own and I could have maybe shown it for the first time this year. It's another reminder of the fragility of life (esp. In a bonsai pot!). I had been developing this for 15 years since I dug up the stump in '07 and it only took one week and a careless neighbor to kill it. I've tried hard not to hold it against him as he probably felt horrible and most likely has no idea of what it takes to develop a tree to this stage.

Maybe we should start a dead tree thread ("The Dead Thread" 🤣) like "The Tree Thread" or "The Shohin Thread" where we can post our losses and collectively mourn.

Here's the last photos I have of the tree from the previous winter after wiring. RIP little fella 🙏🏼

P.S. I'm setting up a drip system for my trees so I'm not so dependent on others when I go on vacation! 🤦🏻‍♂️
View attachment 434915
View attachment 434916
Oh man Cory! That’s is a beauty. What a bummer. I’ve got a handful of trees that I still think about.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Oh man Cory! That’s is a beauty. What a bummer. I’ve got a handful of trees that I still think about.
Yeah, I remember seeing your posts about lost trees after your move. It's crazy how attached we can get to them. It's almost like losing a pet or something. I wonder if there are any bonsai loss support groups... 😁

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, I remember seeing your posts about lost trees after your move. It's crazy how attached we can get to them. It's almost like losing a pet or something. I wonder if there are any bonsai loss support groups... 😁
For real. It was a tough time on SO many levels. But, onward and upward, I’ve got trees now that I’m thrilled about and my skill set is so much better! Here’s to the future and better and better trees!

Top Bottom