Wild Plum

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Right branch gives balance and stability to the tree. Many people like that sense of balance.
Removing that branch will give dynamic tension and a completely different feel to the whole tree. I think the powerful uro and shari in that area attract enough attention without needing foliage there as well.

Either way you will have a nice bonsai plum.

Meh. Definitely keep the branches

View attachment 260978

...thanks for the virt , @Atom#28 nice job....

...you can see what @Shibui is getting at with the above image....orientation of the branch in question doesn't seem to jibe with most of your other branching...

...nice tree, be glad to have with/without the branch!!!!!:cool::cool::cool:

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Mirabelles are prunus domestica subsp, syriaca. Got them growing like weeds all over near us. Leaves look similar but new growth and bark has more of a red tinge to it so I’m not sure this is the same thing. Really nice tree though. I like the scar, a prunus with similar deadwood isn’t uncommon around here in the wild.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would have to go with the new front. The branches are better positioned and better balance,
The old front nebari and trunk look better though.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First image. I like the scar and the root base and nebari flare better. Though I dont know that you go wrong with either being the front.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I still love the scar as a feature but it appears the lower branch might be just a little too far back from that angle? A small change of angle can sometimes make a big difference in such cases as can wiring and pruning to bring the bulk of the branch structure further forward. The scar side also has the advantage of a rear branch to give depth. Again it is hard to pick out 3D in photos but depth seems to be something the alternative front lacks at the moment. That 3rd? branch seems to be coming directly toward the viewer from that new front.
As mentioned earlier, Either both these fronts are great and you are lucky to have such a dilemma. Use whichever appeals to you now. Most decisions are reversible if in future your preferences change.
BTW I don't think there is a 'gap' upper left. Spaces are essential in most bonsai. Spaces are one of the things that differentiates bonsai from topiary. When there are leaves on the tree I don't think the space will even be noticeable and the existing branches will inevitably grow and that space will soon disappear.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I still love the scar as a feature but it appears the lower branch might be just a little too far back from that angle?
Yes. That is the issue with having the front be the side with the carving. The first branch eminates from the other side. Typically you want the first branch coming more from the front. I like the side with the carving better but I think my teacher chose the other side because of that branch.
Thanks for your comments, Shibui!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yes. That is the issue with having the front be the side with the carving. The first branch eminates from the other side. Typically you want the first branch coming more from the front. I like the side with the carving better but I think my teacher chose the other side because of that branch.
Thanks for your comments, Shibui!

There are times it is appropriate to disagree with your teacher. Who is watering the tree after all? Of course be polite, just say "no thank you".

There are a number of world class bonsai that the first branch does not start on the left or the right, but rather in back and comes around to where it is needed. Not ideal, but if the other strengths of the front with the scar & uro is good enough, one can forgive a less than ideal first branch placement.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think if branch placement is to be regarded over then look of the trunk ...the new front causes a new problem....an eyepoker that crosses the trunk.
Double no-no....

Top Bottom