Wild rose

eb84327

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Does any one have any experience with wild rose as a bonsai?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does any one have any experience with wild rose as a bonsai?
You have to be careful with names here. There are several PERENNIAL native roses in the U.S. The vining, rambling, thorny roses in the wild are not native. They are escaped, naturalized roses. The most common escapee in my neck of the woods is Rosa multiflora that comes with single flowers and ALOT of thorns.
Rosa multiflora

I had one a while ago. It was an old plant with a trunk about eight inches at the base from growing up a telephone pole for 70 years or so. It was dug out by a friend of mine. It was both a joy and a curse as bonsai.

The thorns are a problem, but they're not as bad as the wild, rapid, rampant growth the plant is capable of. It was worse than a wisteria, only armed with thorns that would catch on everything and cut you.

It was easily containerized, but the trunk died off regularly in spots, only to begin growing on another spot. The wood was not all that durable, even with epoxy hardener treatments. It rotted a lot. Every summer I had to chop all of its seven or eight foot tall canes of growth back to the trunk. All that growth overspread all my other trees.

I finally gave in and got rid of it (just as my friend had passed it on to me). It was a bother and drew blood and wore out its welcome. I would not get another UNLESS it had a very substantial, picturesque trunk. I would not bother with anything smaller than six inches in diameter at soil level...

eb84327

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
good point. I am looking at some native ones. rosa pisocarpa i think. they have good rosehips

my grandma had one that was the size of a tractor. they tried to cut it out, pull it out and even burning. always grew back

Last edited:

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
good point. I am looking at some native ones. rosa pisocarpa i think. they have good rosehips

Be aware that nonnative roses are not only invasive, but also hybridize with native species here. As Rockem points out, true natives are far less thorny than introduced or hybrids. Good luck.

eb84327

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
i live right at the edge of the st. joe national forest. after reading these post and doing some thinking, this may not be a good. i have drove by a couple pastures that have been almost completely over run. I dont want contribute to the problem by growing an invasive species. i despise people that grow morning glory.

Top Bottom