Wild Shimpaku

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry if this appears twice - I posted it earlier and only later did I find that it didn't load.

A Shimpaku I got about four years ago and started styling two years ago - see first photo. I was working on it a bit this last week, and while I was photographing that Scots pine I thought the lighting was nice for a quick shot of this guy as well. More refinement is obviously needed, but the overall design is becoming apparent, and it is starting to hit its stride. The jins are staying long, BTW - thank you very much. :D Enjoy.

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 157
  • Shimp-09.jpg
    Shimp-09.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 209

JRob

Seedling
Reaction score
Grouper52,

I like the pot. Who is the potter?

JRob

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Will,

I like this tree. I think it will look great with refinement. Thanks for sharing:D I also think the pot is a perfect match for this. I'm assuming you're going for a windswept style?

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Will,

I like this tree. I think it will look great with refinement. Thanks for sharing:D I also think the pot is a perfect match for this. I'm assuming you're going for a windswept style?

Thanks, Ryan. The main branch and jin structure suggests a windswept, certainly, but I'm always a bit hesitant to do more than merely suggest with that style - with rare exceptions even just a tiny bit too much ends up looking hokey, IMO. The refinement will certainly not go against that style, I think, but hopefully it will continue to merely suggest it: I'll let those jins do the talking - the foliage will be there merely to frame and support them.

I liked the nebari and the lower trunk movement when I got this tree, but what to do with the top was always the question. Others would have answered that question much differently, of course, but I've had fun moving it in this direction. :)

Will

waltr1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like it. I agree that letting the jin suggest the harshness of seasonal winds is much better than an obviousness windsweep. Much like many of the trees found in the high western mountains.

Thanks for posting.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The refinement will certainly not go against that style, I think, but hopefully it will continue to merely suggest it: I'll let those jins do the talking - the foliage will be there merely to frame and support them.

Sounds Like a good plan to me!

Top Bottom