Wild tree from last year

spunog

Sapling
Reaction score
This is a wild tree I dug up on some waste ground last year. the trunk split in two and I cut those two off. When it was first potted it was just a stick in a pot :) Now a year later there are branches growing. Its not very attractive yet but I am pleased with tthe progress. Would any of you khnow what type of tree this is? There was a load of them growing wild and they dont get very big. Also the leaves are small velvety roundish tear shaped leaves with the. the new branches are red/brown For all I know its a weed :)

Attachments

• Photo0203.jpg
    Photo0203.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Photo0202.jpg
    Photo0202.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Photo0204.jpg
    Photo0204.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 78

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks a lot like the poplars in Ohio U.S.A.! I do not know if they have them in Ireland or not. But thats my guess, as uneductated as it may be.

ed

spunog

Sapling
Reaction score
After some searching i think it might be an Eared Willow (Salix aurita) 2.5m tall. But still not sure. Its growing well anyway so I am getting some experience of bonsai techniques.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
First off Happy St. Paddies Day to you. When it leafs out take some photos of a branch and the leaves. Post them here and I bet you'll get a ID of it.

Been a long time since I was on the Auld Sod, 15 years or so. Beautiful country you live in and if you go to some of the wild areas you should find some mighty nice trees. One thing I noticed in Ireland was the Fuchsias that grow on the stone dykes all over the country side. Most consider them weeds, but a crafty bonsaist sees a very nice tree in them. And Furz (not sure of the spelling) I saw them growing in farm fields and the farmers hate them. But again, I was seeing potential bonsai as well.

Top Bottom