Wild Yamadori on Vancouver Island

Yugen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
20200516_133201.jpg20200516_144017.jpg20200516_133722.jpgIMG_20200519_223159_785.jpg20200516_151335.jpg20200516_133303.jpg20200517_131557.jpg20200517_131509.jpg20200517_135522.jpg
Yam hunting is like any kinda hunting. It's best to not have any expectations. Go into it for enjoyment of the sport. It's rare to find a yamadori, and when you do it's even rarer to have the tree that able to be harvested. I feel blessed to live in such a bountiful land!!
Canada♥️

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Nice Yamadori IF collectable. I see these where I collect, but very, very few are collectable. Tell me your success rate of finding one with the right root system and then collecting without death. If that is a picture of a recently collected one in that small bonsai pot, and it lived, you are a better collector than most of us.

Yugen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Nice Yamadori IF collectable. I see these where I collect, but very, very few are collectable. Tell me your success rate of finding one with the right root system and then collecting without death. If that is a picture of a recently collected one in that small bonsai pot, and it lived, you are a better collector than most of us.

I've hunted with some people who will nearly pluck any tree they see. I don't bother the tree unless it's quite evident that its coming home with me. Because of this, I've never had a tree die from collection. If I thought that the collecting process would kill the tree I will only collect it with my heart.

That small tree is the latest I collected. It's been off the mountain for two weeks now. I'm certain that it will live and become a nice shohin down the road :)

Yugen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Amazing! I need to get to Vancouver Island, i've always wanted to go. Nice collection and some beauties out in the wild!
There's so many good trees around here. I'd love to know how one goes about collecting and transporting across borders. I'd hate for an officer to tell me no, we must dispose of this tree for safety reasons 🥺😖🤮

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 304994View attachment 304995View attachment 304996View attachment 304997View attachment 304998View attachment 304999View attachment 305000View attachment 305001View attachment 305002
Yam hunting is like any kinda hunting. It's best to not have any expectations. Go into it for enjoyment of the sport. It's rare to find a yamadori, and when you do it's even rarer to have the tree that able to be harvested. I feel blessed to live in such a bountiful land!!
Canada♥

Wow some incredible trees there.

Thanks.

Ps. I know who you are😉. (See pic😀)D8C59411-5DEC-4634-90B4-81F3733AA55D.jpeg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've hunted with some people who will nearly pluck any tree they see. I don't bother the tree unless it's quite evident that its coming home with me. Because of this, I've never had a tree die from collection. If I thought that the collecting process would kill the tree I will only collect it with my heart.

That small tree is the latest I collected. It's been off the mountain for two weeks now. I'm certain that it will live and become a nice shohin down the road :)

This is really the key to a high success rate. Find the right tree. You can spend all day looking and still go home with nothing. But when you find the right tree you can take it out in 15 min and it won't hardly notice it's been moved.

Yugen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
@BrianBay9
I totally agree! To tread lightly is key. I think it's a major slap in the face to mother nature if you're going to interfere and cause death from greedy actions.

@wireme
!!! Quintessential! I love that picture, from the shakuhachi (2.4?) to the juniper, pot and even the locket grey wood work! 👌🤪🤗🤯

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
There is a group of friends that call themselves Highland Yamadori that collect from private property on Vancouver Island. They have a series of videos on YouTube I think you might be interested in. If you have the time I would like to hear what any one has to say or think about their work.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
These guys document the collecting process. They don't pull trees unless they're loose and in the most part capable of being lifted from the mountain. They go up pretty high, close to timber line.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@BrianBay9
I totally agree! To tread lightly is key. I think it's a major slap in the face to mother nature if you're going to interfere and cause death from greedy actions.

@wireme
!!! Quintessential! I love that picture, from the shakuhachi (2.4?) to the juniper, pot and even the locket grey wood work! 👌🤪🤗🤯

I guess it’s a 2.8, plays in F anyways. Moderately wide and rough jinashi bore. Recent acquisition from a japan auction, I’m really loving it.

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
There is a group of friends that call themselves Highland Yamadori that collect from private property on Vancouver Island. They have a series of videos on YouTube I think you might be interested in. If you have the time I would like to hear what any one has to say or think about their work.
I’ve watched 1 or 2 of their videos. What put me off was the way the one guy just tosses the rocks he moves away from trees down the hill/cliff side, letting them roll down the hill into the fauna and flora below. Just seemed disrespectful to the surrounding wilderness.

Yugen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I guess it’s a 2.8, plays in F anyways. Moderately wide and rough jinashi bore. Recent acquisition from a japan auction, I’m really loving it.
How the heck does one get into and navigate a Japanese auction?! What are the odds that the average auction would have a shaku? So many mysteries in one short life

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Amazing! I need to get to Vancouver Island, i've always wanted to go. Nice collection and some beauties out in the wild!
i 've seen the famous TV program "alone, the survivors" which took place in this island and the Nature was stunning

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
i've already watched ep1 to ep6 : i was impressed by their willingness and courage : they go up to the top of the mountain and then they come back with one big yamadori on their back. Dunno if they collect correctly the trees, but i like the fact they are really stunned, amazed passionnate and very positive. Their passion and enthusiasm are contagious

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
i've already watched ep1 to ep6 : i was impressed by their willingness and courage : they go up to the top of the mountain and then they come back with one big yamadori on their back. Dunno if they collect correctly the trees, but i like the fact they are really stunned, amazed passionnate and very positive. Their passion and enthusiasm are contagious
If you watch and pay attention to their videos you will notice they seem to have a pretty high survival rate. A side note: To the individual who was put off by them rolling a stone ore two down the mountain side??? Are you serious?

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
If you watch and pay attention to their videos you will notice they seem to have a pretty high survival rate. A side note: To the individual who was put off by them rolling a stone ore two down the mountain side??? Are you serious?
That’s what I wrote didn’t I? It just seemed like he was going it intentionally to get the rock out of the way, instead of trying to move it without damaging the surrounding area.

The Backcountry Boys have written blog posts about collecting ethically and making sure that no one would even know they were ever there, or that they collected a tree from an area.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
On a return to this post I am again reminded at highly pissed off these holier than thou environmental wack jobs can make you. A number of years ago, back in the 70s, the family and I took a trip into the upper peninsula of Michigan. We had set up camp on a small river where I decided we were going to fish. About 40 yrds upstream there was a bridge with a uniformed DNR worker standing on the bridge urinating in the river. If I had done that I would have been arrested.

Top Bottom