Wildfire Composition

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I like the premise. Was initially slightly surprised to see no live trees, but it is a wildfire aftermath scene after all.
I might have to try something like this sometime.

Thanks. Fire intensity was high for this one so most trees were nuked.
1683955447970.jpeg

Soil from the burn area was also added to the composition. The hope is for dormant seeds to sprout in the “understory” and contribute some life to the piece.
1683955959197.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Others have been here before you. I've seen a couple of similar 'fire' bonsai where growers converted a recently dead group with a blowtorch.
Look forward to seeing if any dormant seeds sprout in the pot. Most forests are adapted to occasional fires so new plants sprout and thrive in the new sunny environment. Gradually the forest re-establishes and eventually returns to mature forest again.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Others have been here before you. I've seen a couple of similar 'fire' bonsai where growers converted a recently dead group with a blowtorch.
Look forward to seeing if any dormant seeds sprout in the pot. Most forests are adapted to occasional fires so new plants sprout and thrive in the new sunny environment. Gradually the forest re-establishes and eventually returns to mature forest again.

I considered the blow torch but wanted to keep the burning authentic to the event.
It’s a good idea for less burned trees though, especially if you want finer scorched ramification for proportional reasons. Not many fine branches get the heavily charred look since the flames eat them up so quickly.

In a more perfect world, morels would also emerge from the understory. Probably need some live trees in there. A guy can dream..

Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen this too, but I prefer the more hopeful scene of partially burned trees, with some regrowing foliage - like the last image but with some surviving trees.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I wonder if simulating tall trees that survived would be practical.
Scorched down low, but still foliage up top.🤔

This is inspiring, that is.
I think it’s possible with a precise torch and the right tree.

Conifers would probably work best. Ones with thick bark, tall crowns, and few/no or dead branches down low.
1692118372245.jpeg

Surface roots would need protection from the torch. Many fire susceptible trees are that way because of shallow root systems that fry even in low intensity burns.
1692118422182.png

It’s probably safer and would look realistic to scorch just one side of a trees base. It indicates fire direction and is a lower risk than burning all around a bole.
The same general side for all trees in a group but in varying amounts. High scorch marks indicate greater fire intensity that should be reflected in the health of that particular tree.
1692118474010.png

Trees with burnt hollows or cat faces could be added…
1692118538975.jpeg

As could charred stumps or snags to portray previously dead/harvested trees that burned.
1692118569070.jpeg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think it’s possible with a precise torch and the right tree.

Conifers would probably work best. Ones with thick bark, tall crowns, and few/no or dead branches down low.
View attachment 503139

Surface roots would need protection from the torch. Many fire susceptible trees are that way because of shallow root systems that fry even in low intensity burns.
View attachment 503140

It’s probably safer and would look realistic to scorch just one side of a trees base. It indicates fire direction and is a lower risk than burning all around a bole.
The same general side for all trees in a group but in varying amounts. High scorch marks indicate greater fire intensity that should be reflected in the health of that particular tree.
View attachment 503141

Trees with burnt hollows or cat faces could be added…
View attachment 503142

As could charred stumps or snags to portray previously dead/harvested trees that burned.
View attachment 503143
Unfortunately, I'm at no level of skill yet to attempt it myself. I do have a couple ponderosa seedlings, as well as rmj popping up in the yard. I might go about getting them into a big basket now with such a composition in mind for the future.

Top Bottom