Wildfire Composition

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not sure I agree that livestock are necessarily an issue, not when using reasonable grazing practices anyway. They actually help keep underbrush clear, eliminating excess fuel. Part of the issue leading to the fires in California years past was they outlawed clearing underbrush in rural areas, something about chipmunk habitat or something. 100 feet of clear defensible space around your house is step one in mitigating wildfire damage, and they made it illegal.

I blame tourists. Everyone wants to keep the fires down so the tourists can have pretty views, but then, like you said, the fuel just builds up until it's one big tinderbox.

We're bordering on politicizing the thread though. Lots of opinions, so let's watch it.
Your right 😅 I'm thinking of one particular environment which is a unique exception to the rule!

Definitely should keep politics out of the trees 😊

Sagebrush

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ecological Succession

A new cohort has established. Noble fir. From cones collected in less-burned areas of the Nakia Creek Fire.

View attachment 530674
View attachment 530675
View attachment 530676

Container is burnt cedar wood with 1/4” screen on the bottom.
Substrate is fir bark, pumice, lava rock, sand, and ash.
I really like this. The contrast is inspiring. Couple more years and it should be spectacular.

Top Bottom