Will a fungicide kill moss?

D

Deleted member 21616

cover your soil when you spray your trees. I use a cloth or garbage bag, and a clothes pin to hold it around each trunk as i move it from tree to tree

if you WANT to kill the moss (perhaps growing on your trunk) and are asking if fungicide will do it... use rice vinegar. Full strength, not diluted, brush it on. Its what ryan neil recommended in one of his videos, i tried it, it works

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
cover your soil when you spray your trees. I use a cloth or garbage bag, and a clothes pin to hold it around each trunk as i move it from tree to tree

if you WANT to kill the moss (perhaps growing on your trunk) and are asking if fungicide will do it... use rice vinegar. Full strength, not diluted, brush it on. Its what ryan neil recommended in one of his videos, i tried it, it works

Thank you

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
50/50 vinegar works too. Don't overdo it, you want to avoid it dripping into the soil.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Any vinegar will kill moss so don't think you need expensive Japanese rice vinegar. 50/50 certainly works for me too but I haven't worried about it dripping on the soil. I just spray the moss lightly. Vinegar only kills the moss it hits directly. I find I need to spray all sides of the tree to get it all.
I have not seen moss die after using fungicide on any of my trees. Some fungicides are meant to be applied to the soil. I have not found covering the soil necessary when applying fungicide.

D

Deleted member 21616

Some fungicides are meant to be applied to the soil. I have not found covering the soil necessary when applying fungicide

yes, sorry i should have mentioned that! i just happen to buy it in bulk for pretty cheap — you’re much closer to japan than i am, must be cheap for you too! everybody should be stocking rice vinegar for flash pickling during outdoor yakitori season ? (i only have half a year when i can bbq)

don't think you need expensive Japanese rice vinegar.

i use 1:1 water : lime sulphur as a fungicide (and as a simultaneous trunk/branch whitener) when buds swell (maples). Can i ask what fungicide you are using? just curious still a new world for me

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Some - if not all - mosses need symbiotic fungi, so yes, fungicides can kill moss. They can kill a whole lot of other things as well.

You can use a flamethrower to kill a mosquito. But you might burn the house down..

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Can i ask what fungicide you are using? just curious still a new world for me
That depends on the problem. Some are designed to kill fungal infections on the leaves, some target root fungi and others can treat infections in trunk and twigs. In most cases I try to allow the trees to overcome initial problems but if the problem persists or appears to be spreading I'll find a product that treats the specific issue.

Some - if not all - mosses need symbiotic fungi, so yes, fungicides can kill moss.
I can't find any references to mosses NEEDING fungi. There's plenty of references to parasitic fungi exploiting bryophytes and others that have shown some mychorrizal like associations but, like in higher plants, these associations help the 2 partners obtain nutrition and do better in harsh environments. When nutrients are plentiful the plants are able to exist in isolation.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the reminder to go buy a gallon of white vinegar. I use it straight in a spray bottle to kill weeds in my pots. Kills most weeds and unwanted moss with one or two applications and is perfectly safe for the tree.

Top Bottom