Will an aerial root back bud if cut from trunk?

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have a ficus microcarpa with two aerial roots that are well rooted and approximately 1/4” in diameter. I don’t love their positioning (along with other certain other aspects of the tree) and am exploring a few options.

If I cut the aerial roots where they meet the trunk, will they begin to develop buds of their own like a normal cutting?

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have a ficus microcarpa with two aerial roots that are well rooted and approximately 1/4” in diameter. I don’t love their positioning (along with other certain other aspects of the tree) and am exploring a few options.

If I cut the aerial roots where they meet the trunk, will they begin to develop buds of their own like a normal cutting?
A picture would help. But even with a picture the answer is maybe and it depends. I made a video from an aerial root that I separated from the mother plant. The aerial root was already on the mother plant and I bought it that way. I would guess it had been established for several years before I separated it. At the beginning of the video I show my original project in pictures. I separated probably 7 or 8 of them. Only 2 lived.

Top Bottom