Will an Oak survive at lower elevation and hotter climate?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hey Everyone,

I want to buy an oak pre-bonsai that is located in Xalapa Veracruz, Mexico, I am in Alamos, Sonora, Mexico. There is a white oak and a red oak.

The summers here are much hotter, but we have similar winters. Will an oak survive such a change in climate?

Attached is a picture of differences in temps between the two localities. Humidity is lower here Nov-May, but Jun-Oct humidity is in 80-90s where I am.

I imagine if I set up an automatic mister 3-4 times a day on the plant during the hottest parts of the summer that it could be ok, but I would like some expert opinions on this.

Saludos,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 10.20.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 10.20.30 PM.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 9

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A couple questions please: Is native range of these trees known? What scientific names of trees?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
A couple questions please: Is native range of these trees known? What scientific names of trees?
So the one im focusing in on to buy is Quercus xalapensis. You can see where its distributed on inaturalist. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?taxon_id=282400

Compared to the range of this species, we have similar winters here that are less humid, but in the summer we get quite a bit hotter, but similar humidity.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If they survive in the ground in your location, they will survive in a pot in your location.

But a latin name of the plant will help.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is your climate zone same as tree location or in trees regular home range? Personal instinct tells go ahead with tree. Perhaps will need some small extra shade, more H2O in hot afternoons?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
As far as getting plants down mountains I would like erythroxylum coca as example.
People say they hate a dry climate, they are a tropical species from the mountains of Peru, Bolivia and Colombia.
I'm growing them at sea level, in a window sill, above a radiator. The air is bone dry, the temperatures both higher as well as lower than their natural range, tap water for 11 years instead of low pH rain water..

Give your plants time to adjust, and they can surprise you with their adaptability. Just make sure the roots don't get cooked in the hot sun. Foliage can be replaced, and a thicker cuticle takes time to form, so be patient.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As long as they have the same amount of cold in the winter, I believe they will be ok. If the summer is too warm or the sun is too intense, put them under 30 - 60% shade cloth.

When I lived in Southern California we struggled with some species because we couldn't give them enough cold hours - NOT because the summers were too warm.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
As long as they have the same amount of cold in the winter, I believe they will be ok. If the summer is too warm or the sun is too intense, put them under 30 - 60% shade cloth.

When I lived in Southern California we struggled with some species because we couldn't give them enough cold hours - NOT because the summers were too warm.
Wow this is great advice! Thank you so much! I hope it will be okay. It does get pretty cold here in the winter. I will try and post this tree when I get it next week. It is coming from the other side of the country. It was a trunk-chop type of Yamadori but it looks like it is well established and it seems like it has a future.

Top Bottom