Will green fresh japanese maple seeds germinate?

itsfullofstars

Seedling
Reaction score
HI. I picked some fresh seeds that were green in colour straight off a japanese maple in the middle of summer. DEcember 28th to be precise. (Summer in Aus)

I have had them in the frigde since then, stratifying away. No sprouts yet at 84 days.

I am concerned the seed wasnt ripe and won't ever sprout.

Has anyone successfully germinated japanese maple seed they picked from the tree in summer?

Reaction score
Normally harvest when seed is green and wing is brown. It might be to early i guess. It might be not the optimal time of year to sprout them now?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maples make samaras independent of whether the flower was pollinated or not. Yours may not be viable seeds. Cut one or two in half and see if it is hollow - yes = no embryo : not viable.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I thought that they had to come out of the fridge to sprout, as get warmer and wake up. Or am I wrong?

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I collect the seeds in the fall, when they are brown. if you get cold winters, you can plant fresh seeds outdoors and they will sprout in late winter or spring. If not, cold stratify them in a refrigerator for 90-120 days, planting the sprouts weekly as they shoot roots. After 120 days, I plant what's left and usually quite a few show up in the weeks that follow.

itsfullofstars

Seedling
Reaction score
thank you all

if these do sprout I will reply here as proof summer harvested Japanese maple seeds are ok.

I don't have many in the fridge so don't want to cut any open in case it is ok.

Top Bottom