Will The Real Club Moss Please Step Forward?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Okay, I’ve been searching the B-Nut archives for “Club Moss” but I did not find what I thought I would. In one of the threads Club Moss is referred to: Lycopodium - "princess pine" which is not the kind of moss I’m referring to. However, I did come across a thread where BVT talks about good and bad moss which I found interesting. Anyway, I purchased some moss that was labeled “Club Moss” at a nursery and thought it would look good around some of my potted trees. It seems like some really cool moss but don’t know much about. Anyone have any knowledge they can drop on me?

Club Moss 1.JPG

Club Moss 2.JPG

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not a lot of interest in this which is cool. I've been doing more interweb discovery and found this interesting page: http://vnps.org/princewilliamwildfl...ancient-and-interesting-group-of-fern-allies/
I've looked at each species listed but couldn't find a match.

After a little more discovery I found the moss I believe I have which is 'Selaginella apoda' aka Meadow Spikemoss. I'm pretty sure it's "bad" but I like it so it will have to go in a pot of it's own and act as an accent plant.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beggin' for some creamy Caesar and parmesan...extra 'chovies!!:p:D:D

Would you use to indicate the coming season or as a current season..umm..seasonalish...:confused: theme. is there a rule on that....ask a referee? @Adair M

Love it, super vibrante and with a little spritz it gives a pleasing, "cooling" sensation!!!:)

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't know about potted w/a tree. I would wonder how it's roots would "play" with the host?:confused::mad::)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Anyone have any knowledge they can drop on me?

Toss it in a soil/peat moss mix. They like humidity and light. I am pretty certain that one is a type that if it dries out it curls up brown and goes dormant until hydrated. My Wife and I killed one anyways as we let it go brown for to long(guessing 2 months). There are several varieties and honest they could add interest to any accent or tray landscape as long as it can be kept dampish. I like them ;) Been playing around with some of the "jeepers creepers" series of ground cover plants and although "OK" they grow damn sloooooooooooooooooow...

Grimmy

Reactions: Vin

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Would you use to indicate the coming season or as a current season..umm..seasonalish...:confused: theme. is there a rule on that....ask a referee? @Adair M

Love it, super vibrante and with a little spritz it gives a pleasing, "cooling" sensation!!!:)
I could be wrong brother but I think moss is good for all seasons. The rule (if there is one) would be if it's appropriate for the type of tree you're displaying. Let's let the pros chime in though.

Unfortunately, I watered the moss right before I took the photo, it looks even cooler when it's dry. The wet look is reserved for Bo Derek..

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You mean as an accent plant?

Yeah, accent plants are supposed to reflect the season. So, if the leaves are turning in the fall, your accent plant should show seasonal color, too.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You mean as an accent plant?

Yeah, accent plants are supposed to reflect the season. So, if the leaves are turning in the fall, your accent plant should show seasonal color, too.
So, you could have it on the soil but not as an accent if the tree was displayed with Autumn colors?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So, you could have it on the soil but not as an accent if the tree was displayed with Autumn colors?

Intricate question. I have seen Winter displays, leafless that are shown with/without moss. True moss can be green in the Winter in many places. What you have and I described are not really moss no matter what the distributor calls it and puts it in a Summer display as an accent being they are either lush green or dormant brown...
I might by off track but I welcome @Adair M back to deliberate :p

Grimmy

Last edited:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Intricate question. I have seen Winter displays, leafless that are shown with/without moss. True moss can be green in the Winter in many places. What you have and I described are not really moss no matter what the distributor calls it and puts it in a Summer display as an accent being they are either lush green or dormant brown...
I might by off track but I welcome @Adair M back to deliberate :p

Grimmy
Agreed and I to welcome input from @Adair M

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Lycopodium

They are actually vascular plants so I am pretty certain @Brian Van Fleet would say for use in a plant being displayed it would fall into the "bad" moss category. Serious though there a lot of different types out there that are still very nice as and accent or in a landscape planting.

Grimmy

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would not put that in a pot with a tree.

It would be ok as an accent plant, or kusamono.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
They are actually vascular plants so I am pretty certain @Brian Van Fleet would say for use in a plant being displayed it would fall into the "bad" moss category. Serious though there a lot of different types out there that are still very nice as and accent or in a landscape planting.

Grimmy
Agreed, bad for bonsai, maybe ok for accents. I like the fine-textured, low-growing velvety varieties on bonsai pots. Usually some is growing somewhere to borrow:
image.jpeg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
*shrug*

Doesnt look like any moss Ive ever seen.
Ive only seen carpet moss really

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Agreed, bad for bonsai, maybe ok for accents. I like the fine-textured, low-growing velvety varieties on bonsai pots. Usually some is growing somewhere to borrow:
View attachment 111271
I like the velvety varieties as well but they don't seem to do well this far south. I have some on my trees in dappled shade but I'm looking for something more tolerant of the sun and a bit different.

I have a couple pretty cool rocks that I think I'll add this moss to and just enjoy it for what it is. Thanks for the input.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Goggle "Lycopodium" for the real club moss, which is one that grows up here.......with the amount of annual rain we get there are many varieties of moss (100's) many of which are like the type Brian mentioned.....low growing, velvety and the roots are mostly on the surface.
G.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"bad" moss has roots

I think moss should be in quotations too.

If a can of Guinness had a voice......
It would say shit like this!

:confused::eek::confused::eek::cool::cool:.......:confused::eek:
:)

Sorce

Top Bottom