Will these elements be enough to create a forest?

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been thinking of creating a penjing style forest with these elements....

IMG_20230309_183538c.jpg IMG_20230309_183515.jpg IMG_20230309_183626.jpg IMG_20230309_183345.jpg

IMG_20230309_184137.jpg IMG_20230309_183410.jpg

IMG_20230309_183320.jpg IMG_20230309_184150.jpg

I will use a slate board, stones and between 9 and 13 seedlings of Chamaecyparis thyoides "red star" or "rubicon" that I rooted last year from cuttings.
With these elements I think I have a clear idea of the drainage and the fastening of stones, elements and trees.
I will use Keto to get smooth slopes in the torii area end, while the stones will act as a natural container for the substrate. First pic shows the likely tree's positions.
The questions are, would it be viable and aesthetically pleasing? Do you have an alternative vision for those elements?

Attachments

• IMG_20230309_183538.jpg
    IMG_20230309_183538.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 97

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Those are from cuttings?!
Anyways, if anyone can I pull this type of elaborate composition off, it’s you.
I like the rocks.
I’m not a fan of toys in the landscape, but that’s personal taste.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
To actually address your question, I think you could add some other natural elements. I’m guessing you will be using moss and some other “ground cover” in this planting.

It’s hard to tell from the photos how varied the height of the perimeter rocks are.
It would be nice to have a low wall area.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got the rocks today and made this first arrangement with some rush, but It will take for me several weeks of observation and thinking before I do anything..... I may even delay the project for a year, to grow the saplings a bit more.
To actually address your question, I think you could add some other natural elements. I’m guessing you will be using moss and some other “ground cover” in this planting.

It’s hard to tell from the photos how varied the height of the perimeter rocks are.
It would be nice to have a low wall area.
Yes, in my mind everything is covered in moss. What "other natural elements" do you suggest?
I'm still stablishing wich the front of the composition will be. I'll have to take a low point of view and evaluate the height and harmony of the rocks and the trees. Then I'll have to choose the saplings ( I have 19 in diffent sizes, all from cuttings).
Ahhh, about the toys, I must say I enjoy and use them but when I change my mind about one of them, I make sure I can simply remove it with no hassle.

Last edited:

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I'm certainly not an expert for this but I think the amount of rocks is a little bit much for the size of the total composition.
Is it normal to find a "wooden entrance" in such a rocky surrounding?

But I think you will figure it out and that it will look good when you are finished. 👍

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm certainly not an expert for this but I think the amount of rocks is a little bit much for the size of the total composition.
Is it normal to find a "wooden entrance" in such a rocky surrounding?

But I think you will figure it out and that it will look good when you are finished. 👍

The idea behind the use of those rocks is not only an aesthethical option, but also a way to contain the soil. But as I said this was only a first arrangement. In fact, since I made the first post in this thread I have already made changes in the design (one of them removing the gate).
I think I will take this project very slowly, as I enjoy a lot the designing phase and want to learn about every detail. And time is on my side, as my saplings will grow some more while I think.
I'll be updating this thread with different options, and the actions I take

Last edited:

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Super interesting, I'm looking forward to what you end up making.

A couple of thoughts I had while looking at it:

• Unless the soil substrate is filled up pretty high it looks like the rocks are going to block the trunks on most of the trees in the interior part. I like the rocks but my initial thought is to maybe limit the number of rocks to a few spread out throughout the forest. This way you aren't blocking the trees
  • Do you have a rough front picked out yet? I know it was just an initial layout but there are a lot of trees on the right side and I'm worry they'll block each other.
  • How do you plan on it being viewed? Is the viewer supposed to view it through the gate into the forest? I'm almost thinking you try to prop the back of the slab up to give it the appearance that it's on a hillside. This way you can view more of the forest and less trees/rocks blocking each other.
Cool project, keep us posted!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There's more than enough elements there to make a good penjing landscape. You could do a great job with way less if necessary. The real question is whether you have the imagination and skills to bring it all together. Fortunately bonsai and penjing can be redesigned next year when you realize how it could look better.
Look forward to seeing how this lot comes together for the first styling.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the idea of what you're trying to do, but visually, there is way too much going on, IMO.

Simple is better for bonsai and penjing. The best Penjing compositions use as few elements as possible. For instance, enclosing the central part of the composition with high rock walls, prevents seeing what's going on inside without standing over it...Filling the interior with trees will make the composition a bit claustrophobic.

There is no negative space, which is a central tenant of penjing. Open spaces allows the eye to rest, as well allowing the imagination to play a role. Literal images limit the viewer...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I got the rocks today and made this first arrangement with some rush, but It will take for me several weeks of observation and thinking before I do anything..... I may even delay the project for a year, to grow the saplings a bit more. Yes, in my mind everything is covered in moss. What "other natural elements" do you suggest? I'm still stablishing wich the front of the composition will be. I'll have to take a low point of view and evaluate the height and harmony of the rocks and the trees. Then I'll have to choose the saplings ( I have 19 in diffent sizes, all from cuttings). Ahhh, about the toys, I must say I enjoy and use them but when I change my mind about one of them, I make sure I can simply remove it with no hassle.
Honestly...one year isn't going to break the bank. I say...don't delay on wanting to give young material more time to grow...they will still grow in the penjing.

Now...you aren't going to know exactly what your final project will end up...until your hands get dirty and you are in the thick of it. Understanding that. We can have a mental plan...but it doesn't always go together as planned. I say that with experience.

I see your concern with muck. I was in the same boat. I wanted a penjing look...but for the health of my tree...I needed 2 inches of planting depth for the roots. Then...add in the tree slants...so the tree needed even taller than that to clear the pot. My final finished product...turned out better than I had planned. I didn't use a tray. Because ... my lungs can't handle the glue to fasten the rocks into place like I would have liked. So I used an oval pot and planted it penjing...which allows me the peace of mind...everything is secure inside the pot.

Helpful tip...plant the rocks. People make mistakes in doing hardscape in their yards...and penjing. They look placed...not natural. Plopped on the surface...and not natural.

I can't post examples right now. My boys are downloading new gaming maps and killing how my internet is working. If I think...I'll come back to share.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Fidur ...Even my landscape...rocks are planted. You can't have rocks sitting just at the surface like one just plopped it there. 😉
Screenshot_20230310_034234_Facebook.jpg

My Sweet Plum...in a Jack Hoover pot. The tree and rocks changed my original plan...once my hands got dirty.

That is key...go in with intentions to enjoy the process. Have fun with it.
FB_IMG_1678141535974.jpgScreenshot_20230310_175925_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20230306_172608_Facebook.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A thought...space some rocks...to save smaller ones for center to plant among the trees...use screen between the outer wall you build with the rocks using muck and screen to help secure maybe. If you are concerned. Just a thought...chew over...never to follow. Make sure this design is all you. 😉

Top Bottom