Will this accent pot work?

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Trying to put together a display for this kinsai. I've read that in the spring if your plant hasn't or doesn't flower your accent should. With those terms I'm wondering if the different shape will overcome the similar colors. Was hoping these simple sedum's would do the trick. IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

The oval is a Sarah Rayner, the accent is a Ron Lang.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am not very experienced with display, but the bright colors of the accent pot seem to draw my eye away from the tree. I would pick an accent pot with a more muted color palate.

Killer Tree!!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

What blooms?

@NorthTXacer am I correct this tree won't have blooms at display? Will the sedum be blooming?

Where is the display? Home? Show?
Table height? Table covering color?

Will the tree have a stand?
The accent?

What other material do you have?

IMO...right here right now....
That sedum will overflow and hide the pot color. And that white grass falls enough to be not too tall.
That's your best combo here.

However. .....

A quick Google image Search of Japanese azalea Bonsai" shows 2 of nearly 50+ in a 2 tone pot.

One done well.hqdefault.jpg
But barely 2 tone.

One God awful!
azaleas-bonsai-10893514.jpg

Eeeew!

Each and every other one is in a solid color pot. Big and Old like yours, Unglazed.

Your Trees, your pots, your display concerns.....

These things indicate you are trying to do Bonsai at the Highest level.

For me.. (As I have been myself for an hour or so, out of respect for Sara Raynor))
You can run around trying to find appropriate compliments to that tree and pot combo and never achieve this Highest level.

This tree in that riveted drum.....
It becomes possible.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess the question is what kind of flowering accent plants do you have access to? The sedums are kind of boring and the grasses too tall.

I'd check "flowering ground cover plants Texas" and see what's possible.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like that pot!

Those pots are like the Nana of pots!

Everyone should have One somewhere!
Cracked or not!

I love them!

But good lord not with that multi colored azalea!

Lol!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love them!
I was just being an ass. I don't like it. Too busy. I'm the kind of guy that puts everything in unglazed pots. They match the dirt to a certain extent,don't draw attention from the tree.
Now a brown or gray glazed pot are great for trees. I have one of each. I really like the gray one I have.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was just being an ass

I should have known!

everything in unglazed

I know.

Ready for this?

Maybe I should explore my subconscious for BS cuz those were my Catholic K-8 school colors! Brown and Gold! That's fucked up! Barf!

But seriously...

I like those for the "Chinese frame" they are for "Chinese penjing".

They are much more impossible to pair with bonsai than this Beautiful 2 tone SR pot.

Only for $ for better treees yes?

For me, schtack ranking to penjing is real.

I saw a dude on FB had grown a oak for 3 years with branches lent themselves well to penjing.

To the right artist I'd say maybe a $100-300 tree....for penjing.

It was reduced to a stump that I value at free...and put a much longer "finished" time line on it cuz the "free" one I'm thinking of has Taper and A good branch or 2.

Went looking at Bonsai South and realized the excellent bark on the penjing branches likely moved its value up even more...

At which case....I would sell it, and buy what Also could have been a much better oak start, or 2, from Zach.

Worldwide Multi Art Schtack ranking ....
Or as close as we can come!
The fastest way to the MOST Excellence!

Sorce

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Geez source, you’re making me work awefully hard on this.

Tree will not be in bloom more than likely, possibly a few early but that’s it (red if it does). Show is end of this month. State show. Sedums won’t be blooming either.
I’m thinking I need a dark rectangular larger than the accent pot shown. Do you have anything you think is a no-brainer match?
Here is the stand.

20C2C635-5191-4834-A0FE-E17A274C4262.png

Ron Lang is doing a commission piece for the tree but won’t be ready prior to show.

AD88648F-FE85-4267-A0A3-90EF3192D069.jpeg

By the way the sedums and the grasses are for this juniper, also accepted for the show. Though the second pic will be closer to the final display, except a different slab.

C37DF1E2-BDA4-4CFA-8291-504412A97498.jpeg

9A683EB2-1FCD-4315-8C0F-D2D60042B6AC.jpeg

E1D00EA4-3C23-49F5-A1EB-82953BBD3903.png

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are going to be Killang it!

Bloody hell!

Yes, with this, anything Dark.
I'd keep 2 prepared in case you do get a couple blooms.

Do I personally have a pot? I would be less prepared to hear that question than I was expecting to hear such a great response to the last post!

Let me use my...20180320_152044.jpg
This wouldn't work but I'm Dropping the Hip-Hop Series this week!

20180304_104554.jpg
Too small, bit note the red.

20180317_070654.jpg
This could work if the red was in the other third.

But this, in Japanese Fishtanks, note the red or similar, at the thirds point.
Japanese-Shrine-Home-Aquarium-Ideas.jpg
2ecf011f50974f9dcc1e3a477786c393.jpg
Betta-Tank.jpg

So finding a red bloom in your tree at a great spot.....
Could lead to a dark accent with red at the third.

And a scroll, I was thinking a cardinal, but these are available right now at Bonsai Sales Capture+_2018-04-04-11-09-39.png

With red also at a third.

And as long as its subtle enough.

This theme can bring harmony to your 3 points. But beware how quickly it can be cheesy. Yes?

If you had one or 3 blooms resting in front of the SR pot, on the left third, fallen blossoms.
That may bring an element to balance the pot.....maybe then without scroll.
As your three points will be red on the close floor, red in the canopy, just one or two blooms, and red in the accent.

This could be beautiful if you are confined to tight space. The flowers front of the pot Neccesarry to properly bring attention to the pot. It alone is distracting. In considering an entire display.

Sorce

Top Bottom