Koenye

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all,

This weekend, again I had the chance to dig out this amazing tree. Unfortunately while lifting the tree out of the ground, a lot of The roots just fell off.

I made it wet and placed it in a big training pot with akadama, some vulcastrat and moss.

for now it just has to rest for at least 2 years.

Any of you guys have experience with this? Is there any chance of survival with not a lot of small hair roots?

If you have any advice or whatsoever. Please come through!

PS. Any of you guys know the spiecies ?

thank you!

Attachments

• 714CD53B-E0F9-45D9-B3BB-9F01C75F7956.jpeg
    714CD53B-E0F9-45D9-B3BB-9F01C75F7956.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 121
  • B951FB7A-453A-4631-A3FE-A9017115DE97.jpeg
    B951FB7A-453A-4631-A3FE-A9017115DE97.jpeg
    383.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 9B6DBDBA-74C9-40D4-847B-FA9ADB7EBFA4.jpeg
    9B6DBDBA-74C9-40D4-847B-FA9ADB7EBFA4.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 118

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know exactly what species of juniper it is, but it is a very nice tree.
Best of luck with it!

If you can find a way to surround it in clear plastic to hold in the humidity, that will help. Even a clear plastic storage box set over it will act like a greenhouse.
Cutting back some of the foliage so it's more balanced with the roots could help, but I always have problems getting that right myself, so I won't give any advice there.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
First up roots do not usually 'just fall off' unless there's a real problem.
I can see that some main roots have been cut down deeper. Is it more likely that there were very few roots close to the surface and most existing, deeper roots were cut during the dig?

There's no real way to predict survival of trees after transplant. Far too many factors at play including health and vigour, conditions after, care after, weather, etc. The reality is there's nothing you can do about the roots or the new soil and pot now so just cross fingers and provide the best care you can. It will survive or it won't and your worry will not make any difference.
Junipers are typically very slow to make new roots so survival is not assured until around mid summer.
Junipers may also be slow to show signs of death. Sometimes they turn brown real quick (not good) but others stay green and look good right through to next summer then suddenly collapse if not enough new roots grow.
Just continue care but do no other work for at least a year for collected juniper.

Really hard to ID junipers as many species look similar and some selected garden varieties look very different to the parent species.
Good luck with this one.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Oof!.. Nice tree!..

Buuut not a whole lot of feeder roots to sustain this collection....

I've done this myself, as when you are starting... those big roots, in your mind, will start sucking up water right away.... But this is NOT the case. (Feeder roots are the consistent "drinkers")

I truly hope it survives for you..

(Also.. that mounding soil around the base... has a tendency to only work until the first rain or aggressive watering. After this, you risk exposing those feeder roots and they will dry and die promptly if not cared for.)
🤓

Last edited:

DeeJay

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi all,

This weekend, again I had the chance to dig out this amazing tree. Unfortunately while lifting the tree out of the ground, a lot of The roots just fell off.

I made it wet and placed it in a big training pot with akadama, some vulcastrat and moss.

for now it just has to rest for at least 2 years.

Any of you guys have experience with this? Is there any chance of survival with not a lot of small hair roots?

If you have any advice or whatsoever. Please come through!

PS. Any of you guys know the spiecies ?

thank you!
If you need to make a humidity tent around it, try using stout coat hangers and painters plastic cover sheets from any big box store.
You can straighten out the hangers and spear the ends into the ground. Semi permanent yes, but you may only need it for a while

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Get a clear garbage bag. Ask grocery store for bottle bag used for recycling drink containers.. Much simpler than above idea.

Koenye

Seedling
Reaction score
So I bought a small “portable” green house. It might arrive before Thursday. I will very gently move the tree one last time to install the greenhouse and then leave it there for at least 1 Year.

thanks for all the advice!

Attachments

• 5DAAFB74-5DDA-47F6-94D3-E58D6DAFC046.jpeg
    5DAAFB74-5DDA-47F6-94D3-E58D6DAFC046.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 45
Top Bottom