Will This Flower Again

chefmateo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My wife bought this while we were on vacation in New Mexico last summer. I made a succulent planting for her with this included in the group. It wasn't wintered & some of it has died back..specifically the long cat tail like flowers that drew her attention in the first place. My question is: if the bulk of the grasses that surrounded the long flowering stalks is still there..will they grow back & potentially flower again? Second photo is its current state. Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: sorry about the original title..I was from an earlier post.

Attachments

• D7C9D420-0C0A-4DFF-9732-D1CF8B1AAFF0.jpeg
    D7C9D420-0C0A-4DFF-9732-D1CF8B1AAFF0.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 20
  • E02B1822-05D5-452C-AFAD-24A24310E697.jpeg
    E02B1822-05D5-452C-AFAD-24A24310E697.jpeg
    307.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was talking with the Sorceress about this Easter Lilly, and how we grow em and buy em for the flower than throw em out.

What a waste of energy!

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
My wife bought this while we were on vacation in New Mexico last summer. I made a succulent planting for her with this included in the group. It wasn't wintered & some of it has died back..specifically the long cat tail like flowers that drew her attention in the first place. My question is: if the bulk of the grasses that surrounded the long flowering stalks is still there..will they grow back & potentially flower again? Second photo is its current state. Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: sorry about the original title..I was from an earlier post.

I forget the name pf this plant, do you still have the tag? I've seen it before, and it is either related to Aloe or to Yucca. I believe each rosette of leaves, or clump of leaves comes from a single bulb or rhizome. I believe each cluster of leaves flowers only once. In the second photo you have 3 separate looking clusters of flowers. I believe either this year or next year, once they gain enough strength, each cluster of leaves will flower. So next time it flowers you should get 2 or 3 flower stalks. I'm not sure they flower every year, but they will reflower when they have built up enough sugar and starches in their underground rhizome.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's a perennial. It will bloom at different times in different zones, give a chance.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Each time I asked the UBC forums, I had a quick, useful answer.

It's the best site I've found so far for identification of a "non-bonsai plant".

British Columbia's the best 😄

For cactuses (cacti?) and succulents, a French site is my reference. Different, reliable sources for different problems, that's much better.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Kniphofia, Red Hot Poker as it is called. It will come back, and your climate is mild enough for it to be perennial.

Top Bottom