Will this Juniper Grow More Branches

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I took too much off this Juniper and was wondering if it will grow more branches along the area indicated in red below:

Butchered.png

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
wondering if it will grow more branches along the area indicated in red
Probably not, IMHO.

Myself, I would be thinking about using it to practice grafting. You could try approach grafting if you can bend the top down and around so that you can run a stem more or less parallel to the trunk with the foliage up above the contact. Otherwise, you could cut some foliage from up top to be loose scions and try to make some veneer grafts in these (red) areas.

Of course, you could begin by following @just.wing.it's suggestion, then graft where you still need foliage. It would be a nice multi-year project that would 'learn you alot' = fun.:cool:

Reaction score
Looks a bit like a juniperus chinensis stricta to me. But I might be wrong. New growth in crotch would be possible. Severely bend or extensive Shari and some growing out might enhance this tree.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
My (2 cents) guess is that it is a cultivar of Juniper Squamata (or seedling off an upright blue cultivar).
As others have pointed out, bends be cool but probably not going to back bud from the bare patches.
Charles

Lol, or maybe on looking at picture better it is procumbens nana (is picture of tree horizontal or vertical?).

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's wrong with cutting losses and getting better tree?

Top Bottom