Will this sphagnum moss come back to life if I put it on my outdoor bonsai pot?

bonsainewbeeee

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering whether I can get some advice. In your experiences will dried spagnum moss come back to life and cover the surface of my soil with live moss?
Or should I remove all the newly placed dried sphagnum moss?

Pictures attached! (I also want to design my forest a bit better when I have the time)

Thank you!

Attachments

• bonsai forest 3 may21.jpg
    bonsai forest 3 may21.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 62
  • bonsai forest no moss 3 may21.jpg
    bonsai forest no moss 3 may21.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot 2021-05-03 at 1.58.30 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-03 at 1.58.30 PM.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 62

bonsainewbeeee

Seedling
Reaction score
its hard to tell which moss is ok from looking at pictures online!

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve had similar such sphagnum come to life; however, it’s not the existing moss that comes back it is the spores within the moss that grow into new moss.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sphagnum hardly sporulates.
The new zealand type can revive from dry material but I haven't seen other types do the same in the past ten years.

Sphagnum is a bog moss, it needs acidic wetlands or constant rain. So if sphagnum grows on your soil, you're probably giving too much water.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sphagnum hardly sporulates.
The new zealand type can revive from dry material but I haven't seen other types do the same in the past ten years.

Sphagnum is a bog moss, it needs acidic wetlands or constant rain. So if sphagnum grows on your soil, you're probably giving too much water.
Interesting...didn't know the New Zealand variety could be revived. I use it to retain moisture in water loving trees. But other than it turning green from algae. I've not seen it. But I'm also not watering to keep the moss alive...but the health of the tree.

Thanks for your information. I always enjoy knowledge gained.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It depends, there are lots of species of sphagnum. Some like very wet conditions while other species can handle relatively dry conditions.
But I don't like sphagnum in a soil like this anyway. So wouldn't add it.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have it on several trees and in some it appears to be reviving—at least it is turning green. Given how much water I apply it may be growing algae. I use Walter Pall’s approach with very well drained soil that requires watering every day.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have it on several trees and in some it appears to be reviving—at least it is turning green. Given how much water I apply it may be growing algae. I use Walter Pall’s approach with very well drained soil that requires watering every day.
Me too! But I've found these conditions to suck for sphagnum moss.

I've grown sphagnum for half a decade and it's actually pretty hard to get it to thrive. Flooding helps, light nutrients can be beneficial but also deadly, tap water is a killer too.
But those summer sphagnum colors are better than any maple in fall. Friggin fireworks!

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That depends on how hard your water is and most species that are harvested and sold are just green. There are lovely red and copper species but those are rarely sold (and shouldn't be as they are harvested from peat bogs).

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here are some photos of mine. I got this as a dry bale from NZ. The green is developing now and is not slimy as I would expect algae to be but it msy just be too early for that.

5B5CE802-44F9-48B2-8164-CADB08A25C5D.jpeg38FC011D-3132-482E-AB81-6527606AFCF9.jpegBD7D3A12-CDA7-4EBA-81A2-71BE137667DE.jpeg

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are some photos of mine. I got this as a dry bale from NZ. The green is developing now and is not slimy as I would expect algae to be but it msy just be too early for that.

View attachment 372382View attachment 372383View attachment 372384
It's the algae. It appears in stages. Soon the moss will turn a darker green colour. I noticed that some kind of moss is slowly starting to grow on top of the sphagnum from a pot of mine. However, I really doubt it is the sphagnum growing. It has been there for 2 years

Top Bottom