Will yew grow in Southern California

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Help. I am contemplating a move to Pasadena in the next year and i was just wondering whether or not to bother taking my two yews with me.

I currently have:
-Bald cypress
-Juniper
-Yew
-Blue Colorado spruce
-Hackberry
-Hinoki Cypress

I know the spruce is probably a no go. And only have questions about the yews. Any advice is welcome.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The Hinoki Cypress is going to be a little touchy as well. They have a number of them in the Huntington Gardens in Pasadena that look really good - but they are being kept as understory trees in partial shade. I can't keep them alive here (one hour south). They look great through the winter and spring... and the first time the Santa Anas blow with hot dry air, they burn up.

Not sure about the yews. I haven't seen any... but doesn't mean that someone hasn't been successful with them. I have not tried them - probably because I haven't seen the material at any of the shows.

On a positive note - start thinking about all the tropicals and semi-tropicals you can keep :) This is quite the market for flowering and fruiting trees - quince, persimmon, pomegranate, kumquat, and of course all the Japanese and western azaleas... Toss in some of the cool mountain and desert varieties and it's a whole new world :)

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
By the way... you will want to get an annual pass to the Huntington Gardens. It will be right in your back yard.
Do you know that it has free admission monthly? 😊
Thuj Thoại

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Do you know that it has free admission monthly? 😊
Thuj Thoại

Yeah... but those are the days you generally don't want to go there :) My niece lives in Pasadena and goes there during the week to drink coffee and relax :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The Hinoki Cypress is going to be a little touchy as well. They have a number of them in the Huntington Gardens in Pasadena that look really good - but they are being kept as understory trees in partial shade. I can't keep them alive here (one hour south). They look great through the winter and spring... and the first time the Santa Anas blow with hot dry air, they burn up.

Not sure about the yews. I haven't seen any... but doesn't mean that someone hasn't been successful with them. I have not tried them - probably because I haven't seen the material at any of the shows.

On a positive note - start thinking about all the tropicals and semi-tropicals you can keep :) This is quite the market for flowering and fruiting trees - quince, persimmon, pomegranate, kumquat, and of course all the Japanese and western azaleas... Toss in some of the cool mountain and desert varieties and it's a whole new world :)
Thank you. Yes, I’m mourning the loss of not being able to have some northern species but i am also seeing the bright side of all the new types of trees I can grow. AND being in an area with a more robust bonsai culture! I’m excited about that!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I just saw on Instagram that will baddeley carved a Taxus in Tuscany so i think I’m gonna risk it and bring my yews with me.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
And just researched some large ones growing in Sicily so I’m hoping that means it’s a Go. I’ll just pay attention to micro climates within the space, wherever I end up in So Cal

Last edited:

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
They will not be very happy. They may live if Japanese but not thrive. Others such as english yew etc. will be hard pressed to live and most likely slowly die over a few years. How do I know? I moved from South Orange NJ and brought all my trees with me :(
But for the ones we can't grow thee are way more we can and like you said a very cool and growing bonsai culture. Stop by some time after the move.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@EddyFern By next February if you have already moved to Pasadena, you should stop by Bob's place Kimura Bonsai Nursery. I'll be there for an entire week working with Bob and the California Bonsai Society the oldest club in the US.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The yews we use in landscape are of Japanese heritage and will almost certainly die a slow death. The bacatta might make it but I would not bet on it. I think it would be a shame to kill them.

Top Bottom