Willow air-layer?

JPhillips

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is an enormous old willow tree on one of my friend's land, that might not be around much longer, and I was wondering if I could air-layer one of the more interesting branches and then come back in fall to remove it. It is almost certainly leafed out by now but I have heard that willows root like mad. So should I wait or as it's still early enough in the season me to get away with it.
Has anyone else air-layered a tree in the wild?
Thanks, Jake Phillips

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
You can layer it now but they root so easily you might just want to take cuttings.

JPhillips

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How big would be too big for a cutting? My old horticulture teacher told me that an ax-handle roots better than a pencil but should I take the risk of cutting off an old limb with lots of character in hopes that it will root? I'm fairly certain that it is a wild weeping willow but there are a few species that grow in Nebraska so I'm not quite sure. It is the biggest willow I have ever seen but it is on a slope that seems to be eroding quickly so I don't know how long it will survive.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On his site, bonsai4me.com, Harry Harrington explains that with willow, softwood or hardwood cuttings can be taken at any time, and that thicker is actually better. In fact, he says that 5" thick or more from hardwood can easily be rooted. (source here)

JPhillips

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow! I knew willows rooted well but 5"?! If thats the case Ill just do that. I hope to head up to the willow next week so hopefully Ill have some pictures of my cuttings and the tree (which is amazing for a Nebraska boy like me:D)

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Honestly, you can take a cut branch -- really, I've done some even more than 5" -- and stick the branch in a bucket of water and it will root. I did that with a neighbor's willow when the city cut it down and I had a 100% success rate.

Top Bottom