Willow cuttings

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey!

I have couple of weeping willow and goat willow branches in the ground (put them there in early spring). They all grow vigorously and are really healthy.

What i would like to know is when should i pot them, how many years should i leave them in ground and how many years should i leave them in large pot. What's is the common practice for that case? Is there any special care involved while they are in ground?

Thanks for all the answers!

Mazzou

Seedling
Reaction score
Willows grow like crazy. As long as it has a good root base I would get it out of the ground before you can't. Most willows can grow 5'-10' in a year.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I would dig them the minute the diameters of the trunk reach the diameter you envision for your trees. Or dig every second summer, prune roots and put back in ground. Leave them unattended for 3 summers and you may never be able to dig them up again due to massive roots.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The trunks width has thicken incredibly in this past year. Will have to dig it up in the following spring, but i am seeking an advice.
I assume that is safe to dig it up, put it into the pot and then do the trunk chop?
Also, i am not sure what soil mixture would be the best, considering that willows needs large amount of water.
Thanks

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Also, from what i have read, you should repot (at least in early phases) willow every two or even every year. From that i would understand that willow is not really sensitive about being pruned and repotted in the same round?

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Krone,

As Willow are so easy to root (a hormone they produce is used in some rooting powders) Then I think they would be pretty rugged to pruning and root work at the same time. As a caveat I don't own one as a bonsai, it's just what I have read. I have a hakuro nishiki in the garden that I will be taking cutting of in the spring.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This post might help you more about willows.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The trunks width has thicken incredibly in this past year. Will have to dig it up in the following spring, but i am seeking an advice.
I assume that is safe to dig it up, put it into the pot and then do the trunk chop?
Also, i am not sure what soil mixture would be the best, considering that willows needs large amount of water.
Thanks

I would dig, chop, and repot all in the same day. Early spring would be best.

Willows are the exception to the rule. If they are growing fast, getting root bound in a single summer, they often need to be repotted every year. If for any reason they do not get root bound in a single season, you can let them go longer, but if the roots are lifting up the tree, making it rise above the pot, it is definitely time to repot.

Willows are very fast growing. Repotting is often needed every year.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, you could do all in one go. Do realize however that willow is slower closing cuts. So consider chopping and letting it grow in the ground a bit more before you dig.

Top Bottom