Willow in Water

Inspire

Seed
Reaction score
Hello, I have a question, do willow cuttings need to be put into soil after it has rooted and have alot of leaves? Oh and I am a bew member here and this is my first post. I recently got into bonsai =)

I was thinking of keeping it in water and just feed it liquid plant food for nourishment. Just like Lucky Bamboo. I have it in such a nice bottle that it will look so nice if this was possible. I intend to keep it bonsai size and indoors near the window.

I have Salix matsudana "Tortuosa aka Dragon Willow if I am correct.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yep, you can grow it in water as long as you want. Pretty much forever. You can train the tree as artistically as you like. Nothing wrong with that. Go light on the fertilizer, no more than 1/4 strength, since the bottle does not drain. You can accumulate fertilizer to an excess. Once every month or two, I would empty the bottle, and refill with fresh water.

Bonsai is about creating an image with emotional impact of a scene from nature. Chances are fair that most won't consider the "Willow in a bottle" as bonsai, but it will be an artistically grown plant, and that "ain't wrong". There's no bright line defining bonsai. See the photos from the Nick Lenz Retroactive at the National Bonsai Gallery. It is in the "Exhibitions" sub-forum of BNut, with good photos. Nick Lenz can give you inspiration on where to go with your willow in a bottle.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Just no manners here, congrats on being a "bew" and a new member. Don't worry if people consider it a bonsai as long as you enjoy it. That's what matters. Again welcome.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, I should have said, welcome to BNut. I also hope you read my note as encouragement. I like the idea of of a willow in water. It is "outside the box" in that mainstream bonsai is a tree, in a pot, or tray, with potting media. The word bonsai translates from Japanese, to tree and tray or pot.

Do show us photos if you want.

Top Bottom