Willow leaf ficus air layer

mike sommers

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I think I might have made a possible fatal mistake with my Ficus Nerifolia. I wasn't happy with the surface roots so I thought that since ficus root so easily with cuttings I could layer it and develop a nicer nebari. But, after six weeks the only root that emerged was smaller than a toothpick. My question is, will it survive with the trunk missing a 3/4" band of bark and cambium? Also, if it does live do you think that it will ever heal over? I'm probably not the only one out there that tried this and didn't succeed. Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• bonsais 4-28-14 017.jpg
    bonsais 4-28-14 017.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 68
  • ficus 3.jpg
    ficus 3.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 68
  • ficus 4.jpg
    ficus 4.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 78

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It will heal. Those roots aren't too bad, and since it's a ficus, you should be able to improve them with the right work over several repottings.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It doesn't look like you cut enough of the wood away when you ring barked it. I think the root base look pretty good actually.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I agree with both on the nebari issue. The roots aren't very bad and will improve if you put the tree into a wide and shallow pot. The pot you have it in is great for growth, but the nebari won't benefit from the depth at all. As for the ring around the trunk, I have no idea if it will heal totally, but according to Adam Lavigne, his ficus air layer attempt failed because the tree began to heal over, so you can bet on it. Ficus root so easily from cuttings there is no need to air layer, and as his friend said "Air layering a ficus is counter productive." So if you really don't want those roots, go buy some perlite and chop the trunk where you ringed the trunk and pot it in perlite and keep it warm, and moist. If you're lucky the root stock will also bud again and you could develop a new tree from that and walk out with two trees.

http://adamaskwhy.wordpress.com/2013/06/18/air-layering-success-and-failure/

Top Bottom