Willow Leaf Ficus Cuttings--Why Can't I

Gandalph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Man,
I have gotten cuttings going from every other Ficus species there is Benji, Retusa etc. but just can't seem to get Willow Leaf cuttings to survive. I've tried water, perlite, turface, sand, a mixture of bonsai soils, succulent mix, etc. and can't seem to find a good medium. I've tried small cuttings large ones and all sizes in between.

I have gotten Brazilian Raintree, Bahamian Mimosa and Acacia cuttings all take root INSIDE, but not my !@#$% Willow leaf !!

Can anyone provide a surefire way to get these things to root?

Thanks in advance

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Dunno. I stick them in the sand and stand back. Do you use rooting hormone?

Remember that they do not like wet feet.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Gandalph, I've found willow-leaf cuttings a little more chancy than F. microcarpa, for example; but I still get better than 50%.

I usually use Turface, with the fines sifted out. High humidity around them is more important than with some other figs, as well as making sure they never dry out after they're stuck. (I've lost more cuttings that way!) Rooting hormone might help too, or just a cold slush made from fresh willow bark. (Keep it cold, or the hormones start to break down.)

I realize I may have touched on some things you already know. No offense, I just don't know your level of experience.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I will second what JKL and Treebeard said already. In my experience , it is crucial to have high humidity in the container and loose inorganic soil. I use pumice or turface only, and just put a bag over the bucket to keep it humid. I almost never water it once it is covered, for about 2-3 months. Sometimes I keep the plastic cover on for a whole year and only open it occasionally to check soil and to water very sparingly. Do not water it every day or even every week. The tap water is really bad, at least in my city. It is the high humidity and warmth that keep the foliage alive long enough for it to take roots.
Here's a picture of my ficus cuttings set up.

Attachments

• ficus cuttings 1.jpg
    ficus cuttings 1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 131

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
And here are some pics from this morning of my willow-leaf ficus cuttings. I started these about early September of last year. They are in 15-gallon nursery cans, in 100% pumice, no rooting hormones, covered by a white trash bag for 5-6 months, and watered about once every 2-3 months. The cuttings start out at about 6-12 inches long. I don't trim them short. I usually just take the whole branch and stick it in the bucket. If I had taller trash cans, I think I could do longer cuttings. I get about 80-90% survival rate, but most of the losses actually come after 5-6 months when I uncover it and start to water it too much.

Attachments

• ficus cuttings 2.jpg
    ficus cuttings 2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 123
  • ficus cuttings 3.jpg
    ficus cuttings 3.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have decent luck, and I cut off the prunings, and stick them in a pot of dirt, don't cover at all, just water and wait. Like Si. I loose them after the fact if anything, over or underwatered is usually the culprit, because at that point they jus aren't that important.

Gandalph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the experiences guys.

I have tried them them in straight turface, but maybe lack of humidity was the problem, although they were placed in a small indoor greenhouse I have..maybe I'll make a "Pot Specific" humidity tent next time. Have used both powdered and liquid rooting hormone.

I read somewhere that one guy takes all the foliage off before planting. Any comments on that?

I have had pretty good luck with deciduous cuttings rooting in coconut fiber mulch, the kind you use in reptile cages. Stays moist, but not real wet. I think I'll try that next time and report.

Last edited:

Gandalph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have decent luck, and I cut off the prunings, and stick them in a pot of dirt, don't cover at all, just water and wait. Like Si. I loose them after the fact if anything, over or underwatered is usually the culprit, because at that point they jus aren't that important.

Hey Bill,

You talkin' like potting soil?

PeterW

Sapling
Reaction score
Have you tried root cuttings with the nerafolia's? I seem to get 100% strike rate with them......but my growing climate here (Queensland, Australia) is probably much more suitable for them then yours. It would seem that all i have to do to strike cuttings from nerafolia is to drop a cutting on the ground and it will generally shoot!

Attachments

• nerifolias 003.jpg
    nerifolias 003.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 111
  • nerifolias 010.jpg
    nerifolias 010.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 103
  • nerifolias 014.jpg
    nerifolias 014.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 118

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Have you tried root cuttings with the nerafolia's? I seem to get 100% strike rate with them......but my growing climate here (Queensland, Australia) is probably much more suitable for them then yours. It would seem that all i have to do to strike cuttings from nerafolia is to drop a cutting on the ground and it will generally shoot!

Hey Peter (and I don't mean to hijack the thread!),

Do you expose most of the root? From what I've heard you only expose an inch or two, but your pictures show otherwise. Thanks!

PeterW

Sapling
Reaction score
Depends entirely on the piece of root Ryan. As far as i can tell, it makes absolutely no difference. Some i have planted as a future exposed root.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Gandalph, no I mean dirt, a few scoops in a nursery can and it sits and collects cuttings all summer. I don't do much more than keep it watered, it sits outside too, semi shaded at least. The more I try to do the right thing with something like this the worse my luck is, I use the don't care method and it works best for me.

Crassula king

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey Bill,

You talkin' like potting soil?
I am pretty sure he is talking about coconut coir. The stuff that usually comes I a compact brick before you soak it in water. Is that right?

Crassula king

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am pretty sure he is talking about coconut coir. The stuff that usually comes I a compact brick before you soak it in water. Is that right?
Oh, my mistake. I thought you were asking gandalph.

Top Bottom