Willow leaf ficus root cutting

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know it's not a tree (yet), but I figured it belonged in this section.

Has anyone developed ficus root cuttings before? Jerry Meislik's Ficus book said they'd take a lot longer to start showing growth compared to a regular branch cutting.

2012-11-28 13.15.32.jpg

I left more of the root out of the soil than was suggested, but there's a lot of tap root in the soil. Also thought it would be interesting to see how those "aerial roots" develop. A couple are already finding their way into the soil.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I did two early this year and they are both very lush now.

The top ends on mine turned into warty like green callus then sprouted a lot of buds from there after a couple of months (I think).

good luck with it!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know there are ways to train and attain ariel roots, most of them involve straws, or humid fish tanks. Maybe Ryan can get involved here, that is his forte (all things ficus) How long ago did you start this?

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It was about two weeks ago. I should have made a blog post about it so I could keep track of the date.

I should clarify, those "aerial" roots were on the cutting when it came off my other tree, they didn't sprout after planting. I just left them on above the soil as a bit of an experiment. Seems like they're going to make it.

DesertPanda

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Root cutting

I have a Ginseng Ficus that I am cutting ground layering to reduce the root depth. There are some thick roots but they are excessively long and unsightly for the branches. I had not thought about using what I have to eventually cut off to root and grow from but thinking about it, the idea makes sense. Let us know how this proceeds.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I know there are ways to train and attain ariel roots, most of them involve straws, or humid fish tanks. Maybe Ryan can get involved here, that is his forte (all things ficus) How long ago did you start this?

Shoot I don't know about that anymore Judy, I've been having problems with growth left and right lately :eek:

You think those are aerial roots? Seeing as this is just a root tuber, I figure that they're more likely to be just regular roots shooting off that tuber. Just make sure you keep it well humid to allow it to backbud successfully.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
That's a healthy plant, Dario. I've had similar experience with an odd looking callous forming and then bursting into tons of shoots. This species tends to give you many more branches than you need, which is certainly better than the opposite problem.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dario, that's really impressive. I can only hope my little root cutting does half as well.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks.

Other than watering and the bi-weekly fertilizing, I haven't really done anything on this. It just stayed in its little space. Come spring, I will separate them (there is two in this pot since I ran out of container :eek: when I was re-potting the mother plant. I was actually going to throw the roots away but remembered an article that they can be used for cuttings.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What kind of fertilizer did you use? I have a bottle of Schultz liquid plant food (10-15-10) that I've been diluting to about half strength when using it on my other plants.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use Miracle Grow All purpose. Late this summer I did 1/4 dilution and used it twice a week (instead of full strength dilution and using it every other week). But after fall...I reverted to every other week. Will do the twice a week again in spring till fall. That's the plan for now at least.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I've been using Osmocote slow release pellets on the surface of most things, and Dyna-gro liquid during my watering every week or so. Specific fertilizing advice (like soil components) can get somewhat complicated. The advice I've been taking is to be sure to fertilize enough, especially with trees in early stages of development. As long as the soil drains well, and you're watering correctly, the plant should take what it needs. Most of my things are in relatively early stages, so I feed them a lot.

As with most bonsai-related advice, your results may vary based on plant species, soil type, geographic location, maturity of tree, time of year, etc.

Top Bottom