Willow leaf ficus salicaria from Seki bonsai

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is the willow leaf ficus I got from Seki bonsai father he advertised his stock on here. Before I did any work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 32

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And here it is after repotting, defoliating, and wiring it out. A little sloppy, but not that bad I think. I've tweaked the branch placement a little since the pics. I decided not to reduce the big knob area down to two trunks. Maybe in the future. Maybe I'll just call it a "naturalistic" style tree. There are more pics of the process on my blog.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 43

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You keep that huge root as a cutting? Looks like it would make an awesome cascade!

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I did. The big chunky root and another smaller one were potted up. I've only taken a root cutting (that survived) once before and it was indoors most of the time taking forever to show any signs of sprouting. I'm wondering how long these will take to sprout since they're outside.

Reaction score
I think you dud an awesome job.
Very cool, I love the hollow at the base,
Perhaps as time goes by, you could enlarge
This even more... another suggestion to
Compact the tree even more, might be that
You pull the bottom left branches down even
More as old oaks do, where they almost or in
Some cases do touch the ground before returning
Back up. This would also assist in giving the tree
Much more movement. Just a suggestion... nice
Work, keep it up !!!

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I did. The big chunky root and another smaller one were potted up. I've only taken a root cutting (that survived) once before and it was indoors most of the time taking forever to show any signs of sprouting. I'm wondering how long these will take to sprout since they're outside.

Those cuttings will make awesome little trees for sure. In my experience, cuttings sprout faster when taken from trees with a lot of stored energy that haven't had any major work done to them in a while. I figure that since the tree looks nice and healthy it shouldn't take all that long. Usually start seeing signs of sprouting about a month in and leaves shortly after that. Post up pictures of those too when you get a chance.

By the way, nice job with your tree! I'm sure that wiring took some time.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks, guys! I'm worried that the tree might be too dense, but I can always reduce later.

I'll make sure to post some pics of the root cuttings once they start to sprout. I've got one in a 4 inch nursery container and the other in a tiny cascade pot I had laying around.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'll make sure to post some pics of the root cuttings once they start to sprout. I've got one in a 4 inch nursery container and the other in a tiny cascade pot I had laying around.

I have 100% success rate with Nerifolia root cuttings. They do take a month (or more) before sending new shoots. You can bury them deep leaving just 1/2" stub above the soil. As always, do not over water. ;)

Good luck!

Top Bottom