Willow leaf ficus

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've had several willow leaf ficus for many years, and in my experience they all defoliate at some point after they are brought into the house for the winter. Mine usually hold on to most of their leaves until January or February, but drop virtually all leaves before it is warm enough to put them back outside. I don't have a greenhouse or even plant lights, but just rely on large sunny windows. I used to worry about it until a very experienced hobbyist with a greenhouse told me that his do exactly the same thing no matter how he treats them.

So when the leaves fall, I cut back on water and enjoy them as deciduous indoor bonsai. When bare, it is a great time to evaluate branch structure and plan for pruning when they go back outside.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Do you guys take any cutting while the leaves are gone? Top is dominate, long internodes, i'd like to cut off a inch or so and get more middle/bottom growth.

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had several willow leaf ficus for many years, and in my experience they all defoliate at some point after they are brought into the house for the winter. Mine usually hold on to most of their leaves until January or February, but drop virtually all leaves before it is warm enough to put them back outside. I don't have a greenhouse or even plant lights, but just rely on large sunny windows. I used to worry about it until a very experienced hobbyist with a greenhouse told me that his do exactly the same thing no matter how he treats them.

So when the leaves fall, I cut back on water and enjoy them as deciduous indoor bonsai. When bare, it is a great time to evaluate branch structure and plan for pruning when they go back outside.
Similar to my experience. I usually keep them under MH lights but the leaves start yellowing and dropping later in the winter. They don't drop when I first bring them inside, though. I usually wind up defoliating when I put them back outside in the late spring.

Top Bottom