Willow leaf ficus

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So I picked this up a couple weekends ago from a guy. When I got it it didn't have any growth on it. I think it was water deprived. It's starting to bud everywhere and I'm just letting it grow for a while. My question is, while I like the overall shape and look of the tree, I think it's way too big. When is it a good time and where would you suggest I chop it to start a new base and tree? Also I know these will root easily so if I can keep the top half that'd be a plus.

Attachments

• IMG_20190509_195020777.jpg
    IMG_20190509_195020777.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 128

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If it were mine I would work on just getting it back to a healthy state.
Tree looks like somebody forgot about. I would think it would be full of new leaves by now.
I like the tree though. Good luck with it.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So I picked this up a couple weekends ago from a guy. When I got it it didn't have any growth on it. I think it was water deprived. It's starting to bud everywhere and I'm just letting it grow for a while. My question is, while I like the overall shape and look of the tree, I think it's way too big. When is it a good time and where would you suggest I chop it to start a new base and tree? Also I know these will root easily so if I can keep the top half that'd be a plus.
Where are you from? I like smaller trees too.
I guess I would chop it right below that front scar.
But there’s no rush. Make sure it’s healthy and the weather is nice so it can get lots of good indirect sun and warm temps. Watering is important all the time but especially if there’s no foliage. Don’t overwater and don’t underwater.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It’s a ficus and you’re in Florida? (Add your location to your profile). Cut it whenever, wherever you want. Here is one I did:
27189344-4CA9-46FB-90C7-D4D565F5B25E.jpegEA1D3917-3AE0-4B95-BDE6-29371D9C24A9.jpegEB0DC91B-00B3-484E-8A49-B7F001089A8A.jpegEC0689F2-FEE8-4326-B10F-8EED82617F4B.jpeg5C39F4ED-E8D3-403E-931C-7A1E9763110F.jpeg
3.5 years later:
2914B12C-A4B0-4223-93A7-FAC9CFE91918.jpeg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Where are you from? I like smaller trees too.
I guess I would chop it right below that front scar.
But there’s no rush. Make sure it’s healthy and the weather is nice so it can get lots of good indirect sun and warm temps. Watering is important all the time but especially if there’s no foliage. Don’t overwater and don’t underwater.
I'm in central Florida. Thanks for the advice!

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well I think you just need to reduce a height to get balanced bonsai. To me it look fine. I used to have willow ficus, but didn't survive after repotting.

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It seems the general response is what I was already doing, letting it grow and get healthy and then chopping. Thanks for the reassurance folks.

Top Bottom