Willow Leaf Ficus

Mr.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I picked up this tree sometime in '17 in a 1 gal nursery pot. I repotted this last summer and it responded ok despite having few roots from the peat heavy mix it was in. I wired a couple branches and have been trimming back to interior shoots when possible. Since its nice and warm now this plant and been putting on some new growth, I decided it was time for some work. Here is what the tree looked like before starting work this morning. What I consider the front
20190803_110134.jpg

20190803_110206.jpg

Mr.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I tried my best to follow Scott's advice from his thread, which is really helpful. I started by cleaning out (spider webs, really bad this year) old leaves and cut backs to interior growth. Applied wire and moved the branches around to let light in hopefully resulting in back budding. There are some obvious straight sections that need to go, but I can wait for a bud to hopefully pop in the right places. Here us what I ended up with. 20190803_122612.jpg

I'll try to find older pics and post them.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It does look like good bones for a bonsai.
Your primary branches are long and straight.....hopefully you get the back budding you are seeking, and can eventually cut back to them.

But the overall trunk movement and basal flare is very nice looking from here.

Top Bottom