Willow Leaf Project

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I picked this guy up yesterday while up at Meehan's Miniatures. It's the biggest Willow Leaf Ficus I've owned, and probably the biggest project I've faced.

It's an extremely bushy thing and I'll get dozens of cuttings from it to play around with. Here are some shots.
20170423_155326.jpg

It's got a pretty great base:
20170423_155628.jpg
20170423_155711.jpg

I'll remove that smaller root on the left and the higher little root on the right. It flares pretty nicely at the soil line.

Here's the problem. Since it's just a piece of stock it's basically a telephone pole from the base upwards.
20170423_155830.jpg

Around where those little branches at the top starts is a small bit of reverse taper. It was caused from a large branch in the back as well as a thick aerial root right by it. Those two created swelling and that area bulges out slightly.

So, what say you fine folks? Cut back on the thicker top branches and build the canopy around the reverse taper? Or go for a trunk chop below the reverse taper and start all over?

I'm leaning towards removing the aerial root and big back branch and just building a canopy that will hide the reverse taper instead of making a huge chop that'll take forever to close.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it looks pretty good the way it is. If you don't like it though, airlayer it. Don't throw out that top with a chop.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would cut the top back but not chop this one. I would also work around it like you're thinking. There is a good tree here nice pick!

This is what I was thinking in its future just to share:
100-0055_IMG.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I've gotten a lot of mixed reviews on this one. It seems there's a split between chopping it and leaving it as is. I'm leaning more towards leaving it as it, but things could change.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Airlayer - and cuttings --- sell to get back $$$$$$$$$$

Nice trunk, and time to change the pot to a flat, say 4 to 5 inches in depth.
Spend next three years building either beautiful green hat and stunning roots.
Or try for a beautiful canopy.

You would probably go crazy down here, so see you in say 3 years.
Bring phytiosanitary certificate and go on mad collecting spree.
Or just move to down here and open an export to Miami Tropical / Weigerts business.
Best of growing.
Good Day
Anthony

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know if you will be bothered to keep any of the top stuff for cuttings but if/when you get around to repotting, you should be able to get a handful of interesting root cuttings. Its looking vigorous, nice even growth too!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I don't know if you will be bothered to keep any of the top stuff for cuttings but if/when you get around to repotting, you should be able to get a handful of interesting root cuttings. Its looking vigorous, nice even growth too!

I'm not planning on keeping the top cuttings at all. This tree had spider mites when I bought it and it still has them, but it's chugging along stronger than any of my other trees.

I'll trim it back, toss all the cuttings, then treat it for mites. I'm thinking there will definitely be some pretty sweet root cuttings. Seems like it's been in this pot forever.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you're willing to sell some root cuttings then please hit me up. I love the interesting shapes willow leafs seem to produce when root bound.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If this was mine. I do the clump at the knot and cut it back much further down. The straight part is so not interesting at all. I look a bit further down the road. It doesn't matter how big or well structured the top, that straight trunk will never be good.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! I have nothing against a straight trunk if the base has flare like this.

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Semi Cascade would be my goal with that straight taper but knuckle down

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Today was finally repotting day! I had to go through an insanely massive thick slab of roots, but I got a couple possible root cuttings.

I'm really happy with this repotting. The rootball smelled like it was rotting and was soaking wet. This tree has a nice future with this beautiful base.
20170816_154527.jpg
20170816_154545.jpg
20170816_154542.jpg
20170816_154612.jpg
20170816_154617.jpg
20170816_170328.jpg
20170816_170341.jpg
20170816_170338.jpg

Also, the rootball was full of styrofoam? So I dunno what that's about, but we should be good to go. The black nursery can will get warm in the sun and help fuel new roots.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
most likly what I would have done and grow a new leader and side branches
20170816_170328.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
styrofoam? So I dunno what that's about,
Perlite???
Maybe?
Weird...
Three is nice though...I wish I had a good winter spot to keep tropicals...
I only have 2 little ones and they don't have a good spot, for winter...
Gonna be looking for a place with outbuildings next time we move....or an attached green house, heated.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Much better than slip potting, right!!!!!;):D:D:D:D

I might have even taken more off the root ball. Just so you can find all the "filler" from nursery soil, I go straight for bare rooting.

I know you prefer a bigger tree, but this one could probably be reduced just a bit.

Nice!!:cool::cool:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Remember, reducing it isn't out of the question. I've heard mixed results. Regrowing the leader to match the trunk would take years up here though.

And it was definitely styrofoam in the soil. Perlite you can crush, this you couldn't. Very strange.

Top Bottom