Willow Oak Fall Color

markyscott

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Today I posted a progression on this Willow oak, Quercus phellos, to my website. It's quite a specimen. Regrowing/redeveloping the lowest right branch, ramification and leaf reduction should really kick in next year. Five years in training.
View attachment 124165
Really great oak, Zach. And nice progression on your website. Thanks for sharing.

Scott

bleumeon

Omono
Reaction score
Nice oak! I only have evergreen oaks but would like to get a deciduous variety at some point.

markyscott

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Forgot to add that the basal trunk diameter is 4" and it stands about 16" tall.
Hi Zach. Have you done much grafting on oaks? I performed a couple of approach grafts on a southern live oak - they took clean and in just a few months. I found it easier than grafting a trident.

IMG_0070.JPG

This was right before I separated it. The funny thing was that I'd hoped for a bud there for years before I finally gave up and grafted. That spring the branch to the right sprouted. Jealous, I guess.

Scott

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is awesome, Scott. Given that the trunk is all barky, I would've thought it'd be real hard to make it work. I haven't done many grafts through the years. I usually do thread-grafting when I do. But it's nice to know that oaks take well.

Zach