Willow stick in a pot

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
wait before I attempt

Sounds like stuff worth a wait!

With sure Id's you can train some out there too.

If at all possible, I think the best way to build a new trunk segment is on a trees fully stretched roots, then dig it.
There are cons to it....
Most negatable.

Sorce

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
Sounds like stuff worth a wait!

With sure Id's you can train some out there too.

If at all possible, I think the best way to build a new trunk segment is on a trees fully stretched roots, then dig it.
There are cons to it....
Most negatable.

Sorce

So do a trunk chop if necessary and then leave it to regrow in the ground, do some training and shaping with it until it's at a stage worth lifting?

My only concern with leaving stuff in the ground there is that there are deer and muntjac in the woods, so possibility that any new growth low down will get trashed. They occasionally jump the fence into peoples gardens and savage their flowers. I think my nan would like Trump to stick a wall at the end of her garden to stop them chowing down on her runner beans and roses :rolleyes:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

:confused:
Googled.
:eek:

Shiiiiiit....

Nature's little bonsai artists?

That is part one. Watch all 3.

In one of them, cows, goats, or other muntjac like creatures are brought up as a huge positive in the creation of killer Ass deciduous Yamadori.

Sounds like a bloody gold mine!

Oh and this.....
Of rooting chunks of willow.

I see people dunk em in water and it works but you get roots everywhere.
Waste of time and energy.

I would drill a piece of dollar store cutting board to the base, so the roots go straight out, and rig the thing to float with only that first half inch in the water...
Or hell, sphagnum up around the whole cut and keep that Just soaking.

I'm thinking a couple pieces of Styrofoam and some boards....dirtbag shit.

But you'll get strong Ass roots where you need em, nice ones too.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hahah...

You could fill up a tub that way, and put a Bit of soil in the bottom, let it evaporate, and by the time your tree hits the soil, it'll have roots, and you could just put more soil, drill some drain holes, and be potted up!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Googled.

Shiiiiiit....

In one of them, cows, goats, or other muntjac like creatures are brought up as a huge positive in the creation of killer Ass deciduous Yamadori.

Sounds like a bloody gold mine!

Oh and this.....
Of rooting chunks of willow.

I would drill a piece of dollar store cutting board to the base, so the roots go straight out, and rig the thing to float with only that first half inch in the water...

Sorce

A good watch. And good tip with with the board base.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Willow haters... racists! I like my corkscrew willows. Fast growing and easy for a newb.
4 inch stub screwed to a board and rooted in water. Also a twin trunk. I'll be sawing off a new branch to start in a few more days. Got my eye on one.IMG_20161012_124115565.jpg DSCN5479.jpg

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
Willow haters... racists! I like my corkscrew willows. Fast growing and easy for a newb.
4 inch stub screwed to a board and rooted in water. Also a twin trunk. I'll be sawing off a new branch to start in a few more days. Got my eye on one.View attachment 133825 View attachment 133826
Sweet that twin trunk looks cool! I had a piece like that in my bucket o sticks last summer but I lost most of the smaller stuff when I stopped checking the water level for a few days... oops!

Googled.

Shiiiiiit....

Sorce
Apparently so! I'll see if I can find any well chewed stumps with close growth I can dig up.

Sorce

Couldn't find part 3?!
Interesting watch. I understand what he's saying about don't bother collecting until you can style because then you can look at potential material and see if it's any use.
On the other hand, I don't want to spend much money at the moment buying half decent yamadori only to make a total mess of it. I'd rather have the fun learning experience of collecting loads of crap stumps and making a mess of those instead! Obviously it's a waste of invested time to some extent, but if I get one or two decent start points out of it I can work with in 2-5 years then I'll be happy.

I spotted a nice potential Yew at the garden centre earlier. It looks pretty pot bound and is in the reduced section £30 to £10. Wasn't what I was there for so didn't have a proper good poke around it but has a fairly good trunk base with some movement, still has lots of growth close in all over it. Yew back buds and recovers well from being chopped so I'm gonna have a think about it, could be a potential next victim.

Sorce

I think I saw the same post with a board nailed to the bottom. Because mine were fairly chunky they just stood up on the bottom of the bucket and I kept it about about an inch full as best I could although it did dry up a couple of times. When I potted it I only had to trim off one or two roots that looked a bit high and the rest had all grown straight outwards with none coming straight out the bottom. Idea of floating it on board seems cool though!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
floating it on board seems cool though!

Not floating that board...that why the cutting board....so it can sink....

But braces across the trunk with something, pink being the floating styrofoam.

The Cutting board will be solely to push the roots out radially.aviary-image-1488233569352.jpeg

Not that shitty trunk of course!:rolleyes:

Any who....

Just remember that Walter is a guy who is at a point where he only gets dope ass shit. We would drool over the shit he passes up!

Dig whatever now.
Learn.

I wouldn't have a couple of my favorite trees if I didn't dig a piece of shit out of the ground!

Sorce

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
Ok I'm with you, makes sense!
Might fire a couple of pictures of this Taxus your way in a few days when I head back, see if it's worth a few quid to practice on!?

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good fun. Gonna take a Jeep ride down to the river to saw off a new branch to try soon. You can't o

The point of my posting is not to say Willow are great bonsai, but to encourage you to grow what you can get your hands on in your area. Learn by doing. You'll start to get more selective over time. I am just starting to pass things up I would have dug a year or two ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20160316_180814837.jpg
    IMG_20160316_180814837.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20160316_181803392.jpg
    IMG_20160316_181803392.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20160311_180047955.jpg
    IMG_20160311_180047955.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN5665.JPG
    DSCN5665.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 14

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
Yeah that's why I started a bunch last year - root super easy and grow fast.
Looking forward to my next trip over to the woods to see if I can find anything different. There is a sh!t load of holly which makes some bits a nightmare to explore! Might just stick tags on some stuff for now, and do some trunk cuts on other stuff and leave it in the ground until next year, pick out some stuff to maybe air layer... claim half the trees in the woods :rolleyes:

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sh!t load of holly
Holly too! LOL Just grow stuff... This was ripped out of a front yard by a truck.

Attachments

• IMG_20170223_152832506.jpg
    IMG_20170223_152832506.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 14

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
Holly too! LOL
I hadn't really considered holly for bonsai, but I know it grows like it's pretending to be bamboo. I assume the foliage can be removed to get smaller leaves pretty easily?
My nan had a 25' one growing in the garden last year which I cut down to an 8" stump for her, but then it started sprouting again within a couple of weeks so I killed it off as she couldn't stand the thing! I wouldn't have been able to collect where it was without trampling a whole flower bed which it was shading out - hence it's removal.

I can say with some confidence there will be plenty of holly stumps and material down there. I guess it would make half decent 'learning' material as it's so resilient.

There is a pair of crab apple trees just past their garden boundary before the woods start, the squirrels seem to take a single bite out of every single apple each year without fail. She said they were planted by tenants living in the house when they lived abroad back in the 60s and rented the house out. Pretty fat trunks, maybe 8 inches or more. Hmmmmm....

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Taxus... few quid

Oh yeah! No pics needed!

If I was there...I would be saving for a Graham Potter yew one day, so practice for it goes without saying!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've heard willows could stand two repots a year...they produce that much roots. Which...had me pause...and think. I will use another material. One not so demanding. But they root well. I agree...look for something with taper,and character. A great fun learning experience if nothing more. But...better material you will enjoy the end results far more.

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
Oh yeah! No pics needed!

If I was there...I would be saving for a Graham Potter yew one day, so practice for it goes without saying!

Sorce

Yeah some Graham Potter material is my eventual aim, whether it's Yew or something else. It was his videos and some others that I found first.

There was also a Mugo with what looked like really cool movement but wasn't especially thick. Might be interesting.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Fast growing and easy for a newb.

The little Salix sachalinensis 'Golden Sunshine' I picked up last Spring and leave in water has grown fierce. It was a 14 - 16 inches tall and an inch or so at the base. Today it is 2 1/2 inches at the base and 42 inches tall :eek: Went outside a few minutes ago here it is with hundreds of tiny buds -

IMG_0974.JPG

IMG_0975.JPG

If need be looks like I could supply at least a couple dozen cuttings :)

Grimmy

Top Bottom