Willow/Water Oak from Jay Wilson (#2)

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
John G's thread (http://bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/water-willow-oak-from-jay-wilson.18449/) inspired me to start my own about another willow/water oak that I purchased from Jay. I was initially concerned that the tree may have gotten too dry during the winter, but it seems to be doing OK. It was repotted from the basket it had been in for many years, into a shallower plastic bonsai pot. Other than that, all I've done is remove a few terminal buds from stronger areas where extension wasn't needed, and wire a couple of small branches. I need to let this grow and settle in for at least a year to establish a good root system.

There are obviously areas that need attention. Some sections are a bit weak and there are some branches that are too straight with all the growth out at the tip. I'll deal with those as the tree gets stronger.

I'm not sure which view makes the best front. The first view has somewhat better rootage and a clear view of the trunk structure, though this also reveals the sparse branching. Love the red new growth.

willow_oak_01.jpg

The second view gives the impression of a fuller canopy but there are several branches coming straight out.

willow_oak_2.jpg

Final pic is as it looked last fall, from the second side.

willow_oak1a.jpg

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, fire away. I know Jay sold a bunch of these, maybe the purchasers will post updates on their trees (John G, how is yours doing?)

Chris

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Chris...Mine is doing well...already had its first hair cut! Yours looks good! I prefer the smaller trunks in the back....I am sure you could wire a little shape into the straight ones.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm a big fan of multi trunk trees. I think that either side could work, so it probably depends on how the 3d looks. I find that with trees that have 2 good aspects, that I may swap after more development. So I always look from both when I work them. If the only thing holding you back from the first image is the branches, well you can fix that in a few short years. I like this tree, and the new foliage is pretty. So the leaves are more like willow than oak?

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would like to see the smaller trunks forward as well. For some reason, from that side the tree seems more inviting. I almost think of the outside trunks as the armrests and the larger one as the back of an easy chair that is saying, "Come sit and relax." When the thicker one is forward I get more of a sense that the tree is pushing me away.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Chris...Mine is doing well...already had its first hair cut! Yours looks good! I prefer the smaller trunks in the back....I am sure you could wire a little shape into the straight ones.

Gotta move to a warmer climate! How "harsh" were you with the first pruning? And can I assume that the new growth on yours is red also?

I'm a big fan of multi trunk trees. I think that either side could work, so it probably depends on how the 3d looks. I find that with trees that have 2 good aspects, that I may swap after more development. So I always look from both when I work them. If the only thing holding you back from the first image is the branches, well you can fix that in a few short years. I like this tree, and the new foliage is pretty. So the leaves are more like willow than oak?

I'm liking multi-trunk and forest/group plantings more and more with time, that's one of the things that attracted me to this particular specimen. I agree about keeping options open with a new tree. I have to learn how this one grows and responds to pruning and wiring. It is making a tough transition from Florida to upstate NY.

And yes, the leaves on willow oak are very much willow-shaped, no lobes. I think water oaks are somewhat wider and occasionally lobed but not 100% on that. This tree has leaves that are a bit wider than willow oaks I've seen in the landscape so it could well be a hybrid (or just regional difference).

I would like to see the smaller trunks forward as well. For some reason, from that side the tree seems more inviting. I almost think of the outside trunks as the armrests and the larger one as the back of an easy chair that is saying, "Come sit and relax." When the thicker one is forward I get more of a sense that the tree is pushing me away.

Yeah, on the second view there is a major branch that comes straight out a little less than 1/2 way up the trunk. Might be able to work around that by changing viewing angle slightly.

Thanks for looking!

Chris

Top Bottom